I think, therefore I am dangerous

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Oidhche
Textkit Neophyte

I think, therefore I am dangerous

Post by Oidhche »

Hi! I know that "cogito ergo sum" means "I think, therefore I am", but I was wondering how to say "I think, therefore I am dangerous". I would be really grateful for any help. Thanks in advance!

Ulpianus
Textkit Member

Post by Ulpianus »

In principle, and as a matter of grammar, this is easy: cogito ergo --- sum, where --- is an adjective meaning "dangerous". The only thing to do is choose the adjective.

But this is harder than you might think, because whereas "dangerous" in English is a word which has acquired some postive connotations, the Latin adjectives seem to lack that -- indeed, they generally have rather negative ones.

periculosus or periculosa if you are a woman. But this is normally applied to places or situations, not (so far as I can see) to people. It doesn't feel like good Latin to me.

lubricus literally "slippery" can be applied to people whose arguments are dangerous: but it has overtones of craftiness, trickery or deception which you do not want.

infestus looks like the closest match: hostile, antagonistic, dangerous. But it really needs to be qualified by an explanation of what you are dangerous too or it might simply be taken to mean savage, violent, obnoxious.

What sort of danger do you see your thinking-self as posing? To whom?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

my first thought was cogito ergo minor, "I think therefore I threaten". Not exactly the same meaning, but concise.

Vale
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Oidhche
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Oidhche »

It seems that infestus is indeed the best word. By dangerous I mean dangerous to those who wish to control others by telling them what to think, what is "right", and discouraging them from thinking for themselves.

Thanks for help!

Ulpianus
Textkit Member

Post by Ulpianus »

Could you live with "tyrant" as a one word encapsulation of what you have in mind?

cogito ergo tyranni infestus sum

(or, for a more home-grown Roman version: dictatori).

Oidhche
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Oidhche »

I think it's pretty good, it's accurate and sounds nice. Thanks a lot!