want to find a place in Thomas Aquinas' book

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

want to find a place in Thomas Aquinas' book

Post by Junya »

Hi. I want to look again at a place in Thomas Aquinas' book, where he explains how the pain is peculiar to the body, so even in the mental sufferings what is really feeling pain is the body.

The book is probably the commentary to Aristotle's De Anima, but maybe some another book.

I'm bad at searching, so, could someone find the place for me ?
Or, just advise me how to search.

--------
If someone know, answer me.
Is this view of Thomas Aquinas his original ?
Or who is the origin of this thought ?
How many historical authors share this view ?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: want to find a place in Thomas Aquinas' book

Post by adrianus »

Search for your word here:
Verbum optatum hîc quaeras:

http://dhspriory.org/thomas/QDdeAnima.htm
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Junya »

That page is friendly to searching, with the whole text in one page. Thank you.
I will look into it later, and when still I might not be able to find the place, I will ask you help again.
(ARTICLE 21
WHETHER THE SOUL, WHEN SEPARATED FROM THE BODY, CAN SUFFER PUNISHMENT BY CORPOREAL FIRE
seems to be the place.)

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

I like Cicero's "On Bearing Pain", Tusculanae Disputationes, Book 2,
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... ection%3D1
De dolore, liber secundus operis Ciceronis, Tusculae Disputationes nomine, mihi placet.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Junya »

Adrianus, I read the chapter to the sec. 20, but so far what is disputed is whether the pain is a bad (or the worst) thing, and no detailed description of my concern is found. This chapter continues long. Can I expect that I will find what I want to read in the following sections ?

By the way, for the first time I'm reading a Latin text with speed and free skipping, (just like when I'm reading Japanese texts to find places I want to read,) using William Whitaker's Word, without caring about detailed questions on the grammar and word meaning.
Thank you.
By your prompting, my skill in reading Latin developed today.
(As I said to you before, I have been long stucked in a strange mannerism, in which I have to laboriously consult the L&S for each and every word in reading any Latin text.)

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Junya wrote:want to find a place in Thomas Aquinas' book...no detailed description of my concern is found. This chapter continues long. Can I expect that I will find what I want to read in the following sections ?
What are you concerned about? I just think this is well written on the subject of pain.
Quid tibi curae est? Ad delorem pertinet et bene scriptus hic liber, ut opinor.
Junya wrote:I'm reading a Latin text with speed and free skipping
Sounds good. // Macte.

Post scriptum. You mean this, I reckon: // Hoc vis dicere, puto: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59681

Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Junya »

Yes. Self-observation, especially self-observation of pain and other bad and should-be-improved points, and the method of improvement deriving from the self-observation.
Does the chapter 2 in Tusculanae disputationes go into that matter ?

---------------
As to Thomas Aquinas' Quaestiones Disputatae De Anima,
as I looked into the article 21, the view that the pain is peculiar to the body, and even in mental sufferings what is really suffering is the body, doesn't seem to be of Thomas, but of someone other.

But what I read before was not Quaestiones Disputatae De Anima. It was probably The Commentary to Aristotle's De Anima by Thomas Aquinas, or De Malo by him.
I have to search into those books to find the passage.

Then, could you advise me how to search as easily as possible.
(I have never been taught the method by a teacher.)
Do I just search the books bit by bit, taking several days or weeks ?

---------
Recently, I got a vision on what I should research and study from now on.
It's about searching for the texts on self-observation.
And for now, if there really was that view I mentioned above, I want to trace it historically.