Months in Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Months in Latin

Post by pmda »

This is a rather elementary question but I'm revising vocabulary in LLPSI Book 1 and am looking at the months. In Latine Disco Orberg tells us that Latin months are adjectives. But in the vocabulary at the back of the book he gives information on all the months as if they are nouns: e.g. Februarius, -i (m) etc....

What am I missing? Is it that Mensis is masculine and so all months are masculine adjectives....?

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Months in Latin

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salve pmda!

Interesting question. Allen & Greenough's New Latin Grammar has the following to say about this.
Names of Male beings, and of Rivers, Winds, Months, and Mountains, are masculine:--
  • pater, father; Iûlius, Julius; Tiberis, the Tiber; auster, south wind; Iânuârius, January; Apennînus, the Apennines.
NOTE.--Names of Months are properly adjectives, the masculine noun mênsis, month, being understood: as, Iânuârius, January.
Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: Months in Latin

Post by pmda »

Gratias tibi ago....