Textkit Logo

Field trip in BOSTON? Ideas?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Field trip in BOSTON? Ideas?

Postby dterkelsen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:39 pm

Salvete Omnes... I'm a relatively new teacher of Latin on the South Shore of Boston, and I'm looking for a great field trip for my students in the city of Boston (or nearby). Just wondered if anyone had any ideas or experiences to share on that score. I know the Museum of Fine Arts has a pretty good antiquities wing, but I've been there before and wouldn't mind something new. Any ideas at all?

Thank you!
David Terkelsen
dterkelsen
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Field trip in BOSTON? Ideas?

Postby audreyinboston » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:39 pm

I am also located in Boston. Hmm.....there is a distinct lack of Roman ruins around here! I'd have to say the MFA is your best bet barring the occasional special exhibit at the Museum of Science that has been known to show up (i.e. a past exhibit of Pompeii and coming in May 2013 is an exhibit of the Dead Sea Scrolls and other related antiquities--not that it's Latin per se, but it is during the Roman empire times).

Another thought: there are many Latin inscriptions on older buildings around town. Perhaps with some judicious scouting, you could come up with a relatively short route to examine some. I'm not sure how that would go over as a field trip--but it is Latin. One place that comes to mind is the Harvard campus.

Best,
Audrey
audreyinboston
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Open Board