Crazy latin translations - (is this even Latin??)

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
john_the_mackem
Textkit Neophyte

Crazy latin translations - (is this even Latin??)

Post by john_the_mackem »

The company I work for was recently given a demonstration program from a major software company to test. It is an international portal, so employees from all over the world can get common news, etc. With it being a multinational corporation it is not uncommon for the designers to take artistic licence with the demos, and this time the demo news items were in (what looks like) Latin.
It isn't particularly important, but my boss (who knew I was taking up Latin), asked me to translate.

I have tried, but there are too many dodgy words.. I am not even 100% sure it is Latin, although some words are familiar.
It is possible that some of the words maybe typos (they were given to me second hand), but even taking that into account I am struggling to translate some of the stranger looking words.

Can anyone translate, all or a few of the following (they all seem to follow a similar trend):

1)
Laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat odio dignissim.

2)
duis autem vel eum iniure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate

3)
vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facillis

4)
vero eros et accumsan et lusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent magna volupat

5)
ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit

6)
Laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat

Cheers,
John

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Graphic designers and print publishers have long been in the habit of using a particular block of pseudo-latin text, usually referred to as "lorem ipsum" after the first two words of the text... this looks like excerpts from that. They use it as meaningless filler so that the viewer concentrates on the design instead of the text. It's not real latin, although there are parts that could have been from real text at one point, but it has since been warped. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

john_the_mackem
Textkit Neophyte

Post by john_the_mackem »

klewlis wrote:Graphic designers and print publishers have long been in the habit of using a particular block of pseudo-latin text, usually referred to as "lorem ipsum" after the first two words of the text... this looks like excerpts from that. They use it as meaningless filler so that the viewer concentrates on the design instead of the text. It's not real latin, although there are parts that could have been from real text at one point, but it has since been warped. :)
Wow! I didn't know that!

I have just done a search on Lorem ipsum and found a passage that contains more or less exactly the sentences above. It's absolutely intriguing. Apparently it dates back to the 1500s!
Here is me trying to decipher the text... I sort of wish it had been real Latin, good practice for me!

Thanks for that,
John

Barrius
Textkit Member

Post by Barrius »

klewlis wrote:Graphic designers and print publishers have long been in the habit of using a particular block of pseudo-latin text, usually referred to as "lorem ipsum" after the first two words of the text... this looks like excerpts from that. They use it as meaningless filler so that the viewer concentrates on the design instead of the text. It's not real latin, although there are parts that could have been from real text at one point, but it has since been warped. :)
Amazing! I foud a website http://www.straightdope.com/columns/010216.html that states it originally was from Cicero's "De finibus bonorum et malorum", with the text being Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit . . . ("There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain . . .").