How to translate ... into Latin?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

How to translate ... into Latin?

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

How would you translate a range of ages, e.g. 25 to 60? One English-Latin dictinary (Routledge) suggests ordo and series, and I am leaning toward the latter. I am rather unsure as I am just beginning with prose composition.

What about this phrase:
Incolae in varias series aetatum dividuntur ut eam illorum qui inter 25 et 60 annos nati sunt.
  • series, ordo , or ???
  • aetatum or aetatis? Why?
  • Any better way to express the example part (ut...nati sunt)?
Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: How to translate ... into Latin?

Post by adrianus »

Ut opinor,
ordo vel series aetatum, exempli gratiâ, [aetatum] altrinsecùs viginti quinque et sexaginta annorum.
ordo vel series, utrum vocabulum.
series versuum = "stanza, or series of lines of poetry", non series versûs ("series of line of poetry")

qui inter/altrinsecùs 25 et 60 annos nati sunt
qui 25 et 60 annorum altrinsecùs sunt
qui inter/altrinsecùs annum vicesimum sextum et sexagensimum primum agunt
(http://facweb.furman.edu/~dmorgan/lexicon/silva.htm)
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Salve Adriane!

I don't quite understand, how altrinsecus is properly used. According to the dictionary altrinsecus (the first time I have heard of this word) means "on/from the other side".

In the first example, qui altrinsecus 25 et 60 annos nati sunt, I guess that annorum is understood after 25, isn't it? So it should read completely qui altrinsecus 25 annorum et 60 annos nati sunt. Or am I wrong (altrinsecus seems to be be able to govern both the accusative and genetive)?

And how do we make sure that when using altrinsecus the right "side of which" is understood? In the second example, qui 25 et 60 annorum altrinsecùs sunt, couldn't it just as well mean "those who are younger than 25 and older than 60 years" (on the other side of 25 and 60 years)?

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Ita, concurro. Certum nescio. Pro anglicè "between the one and the other" stat adverbium secundum Ainsworth. Id adverbium construitur, dein casui non servit. Forsit non aptum ibi est altrinsecus et melius sit hoc: "series annorum inter x et x interjacentum"(?).

Yes, I am not certain at all. Ainsworth, however, has it "between the one and the other"; others have it also "from both sides" (post classically). It's an adverb so it doesn't take a case and you construe the sentence accordingly: I guess ,"ages from within the sides[/flanks] of twenty five and sixty". Of course, maybe it's the wrong thing to say there. What about "series annorum inter x et x interjacentum"?
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Adrianus wrote:What about "series annorum inter x et x interjacentum"?
That looks good, although I rather tend towards something using intermissus. Forcellini's dictionary gives the following entry for intermissus:
Intermissus, a, um, est cessans, interruptus. Itaque
[...]
2. De tempore est interpositus, interjectus. Cic. 1. Nat. D. 20. 52. Nullo puncto tempore intermisso. Caes. 4. B. G. 34. Brevi tempore intermisso, in castra legiones reduxit. Id. 5. ibid. 11. Ne nocturnis quidem temporibus ad laborem militum intermissis. Id. 1. ibid. 26. extr. Triduo intermisso, eos sequi coepit. Sic Pallad. 11. R.R. 8. Triennio intermisso.
So, what about series annorum inter [annum] vicesimum quintum et [annum] sexagesimum intermissa?

Quid censes?

Carolus Raeticus

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

adrianus wrote:So, what about series annorum inter [annum] vicesimum quintum et [annum] sexagesimum intermissa?
Id ita significat, nisi fallor: "a series of years between x et x that is intervening but empty!"