Looking for: Caesar-commentary

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Looking for: Caesar-commentary

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

I will soon finish Cornelius Nepos, my first Latin author. I used a commentary (Charles Anthon) to help me along the way, and that was again and again pretty useful. I intend to do so to a lesser degree with my next author, Caesar, as that work is quite a bit longer and I am constantly wavering between multa legere and multum legere. I'll probably choose a 2:1 ratio, that is, I will read two sections at a leisurely reading-for-comprehending/strengthening pace, and the third one at a slower reading-for-learning pace using the commentary.

Can anyone of you recommend a commentary which gives hints especially about the more complicated grammatical questions, not the easy stuff. It should cover at least the first seven books, ideally all eight of them (even though the last one was written by someone else).

Thanks in advance,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

Nesrad
Textkit Fan

Re: Looking for: Caesar-commentary

Post by Nesrad »

I assume you mean De Bello Gallico. A good choice would be:

J. B. Greenough, Benjamin L. D'Ooge, M. Grant Daniell, Commentary on Caesar's Gallic War
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... xt%3dintro

whsiv
Textkit Neophyte

Post by whsiv »

There is also H.W. Benario's slim volume (http://www.amazon.com/Caesars-Gallic-Wa ... rio+caesar).

It is not a complete text/commentary, but has great notes for the sections it does include. The selections are based on the new AP Latin exam.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Hello Nesard, whsiv!

Thank you for the recommendations. Greenough et al.'s Commentary looks interesting, but it does not seem to be available in print, and I would prefer to have a commentary in my hand. The Benario, on the other hand, does not seem to cover all of the Bellum Gallicum. I'll have a look at Giles Laurén's edition which according to Amazon's preview seems to have a pretty good introduction and a commentary for all eight books. Shouldn't it be up to my expectation's I shall probably use the Perseus-edition of the Greenough-commentary, though.

Gratis vobis ago. Valete,

Carolus Raeticus.
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.