Reading Plato 2013

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Mehdi Abbassi
Textkit Neophyte

Reading Plato 2013

Post by Mehdi Abbassi »

Hello everybody,
I'm suggesting to read Plato's dialogues is a group work. Is here anybody? I'm graduate student of philosophy and I'm interested in learning Ancient Greek for reading philosophical works.

Regards.

pster
Textkit Zealot

Re: Reading Plato 2013

Post by pster »

I can't answer for others, but my sense is that we are a bit overwhelmed with Aeschylus and Thucydides. I could only do one and had to give up the Aeschylus.

I suggest you just start in on what you want to read and put up questions as you go along. Nearly every grammar question gets answered around here and most of us have read a lot of Plato in English and in Greek. I've read three or four dialogues in Greek, and almost all except the Laws in English. I am particularly interested in the early Socratic dialogues and Vlastos' work on the elenchus, so if you start any threads about those subjects, I would almost certainly join in.

Build it and they will come. We need more philosophy grad students around here anyway. If you put up interesting questions, you'll get intersting discussion. Usually it takes the better part of the week to warm up.

gregf
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gregf »

I would certainly be willing to participate, but since I'm also a relatively new to Greek (through chapter 5 in Hansen and Quinn, but moving fast. :)), I might not be very useful to the undertaking. However, if you'd like to work through something like Steadman's Symposium (also downloadable as a pdf for free here), I would be happy to tag along.

richypoos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by richypoos »

I have been learning Greek now for the last seven months, as part of an MA in Philosophy...Woohoo for me!

I am going through the 'Reading Greek' series which I really like...however I am eager to begin reading the texts straight (Loeb, so with parallel English text).

I think I will buy Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics but m wondering if anyone could suggest the best Plato Dialogue to begin with?

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

richypoos wrote:I have been learning Greek now for the last seven months, as part of an MA in Philosophy...Woohoo for me!

I am going through the 'Reading Greek' series which I really like...however I am eager to begin reading the texts straight (Loeb, so with parallel English text).

I think I will buy Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics but m wondering if anyone could suggest the best Plato Dialogue to begin with?
Is that the JACT series? Traditionally, the Apology and Crito and good entry points for Plato and there are many adapted readers out there to help you along.

Jeff
Textkit Founder

Bart
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bart »

I have just finished going through Mastronarde and am now reading Lysias I in the annotated edition by Steadman (http://geoffreysteadman.com/). Next on the list is Plato's Krito. I hope to begin in two weeks or so. I will again be using Steadman, which is freely available as pdf-file. If you feel like joining, please do!