Reading Caesar's De bello Gallico

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Artemidoros
Textkit Neophyte

Reading Caesar's De bello Gallico

Post by Artemidoros »

It is amazing! I mean, I have learnt Latin without continuity for a time and the other day I found an old edition (very cheap) of Caesar's De bello Gallico in Latin with some help in footnotes. I am trying a go at it... and it works! I mean, some constructions still puzzle me, but I am reading Latin. :o :lol:
Probably many of you are used to it, but for me it is a real shock. Really nice shock, anyway.

Rhapsody
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Rhapsody »

Yeah, I've just finished De Bello Gallico and I think it is really great to read something in latin!

Kerastes
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Reading Caesar's De bello Gallico

Post by Kerastes »

Artemidoros wrote:It is amazing! I mean, I have learnt Latin without continuity for a time and the other day I found an old edition (very cheap) of Caesar's De bello Gallico in Latin with some help in footnotes.
Excellent! I've been at Latin for quite some time, and I'm still happy for you. Out of curiosity, what edition did you get? I'm about to re-read it myself. I have a 1907 edition of Books 1-4 by Arthur Tappan Walker and scanned pages from C. E. Bennett's 1903 edition of the same.

Kerastes

Artemidoros
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Artemidoros »

Hi Kerastes,

I have got a French edition. It is by L.-A Constans, Classiques Hachette (1929, first copyright). It is really nice because it has some helpful notes at the end of each page, and an appendix with words related to warfare. It fits well a handbag, although it bought it from a second hand bookshop and the covers are slightly used.
I have a 1907 edition of Books 1-4 by Arthur Tappan Walker and scanned pages from C. E. Bennett's 1903 edition of the same.
Have these editions some special features? (vocabulary, help, index, etc.)

Artemidoros

Rhapsody
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Rhapsody »

I've printed from the latin library site and caught the notes from the perseus project.

Kerastes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kerastes »

Artemidoros wrote:
Kerastes wrote:I have a 1907 edition of Books 1-4 by Arthur Tappan Walker and scanned pages from C. E. Bennett's 1903 edition of the same.
Have these editions some special features? (vocabulary, help, index, etc.)
Both have introductions on Caesar and the Roman army, maps, grammatical help in the commentaries, and vocabularies. Walker gives fuller grammatical and vocabulary help. He also has a complete grammatical summary in a appendix and indicates in the glosses the words used five or more times in the text.

Kerastes