o(ra/w or ei)/dw

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

o(ra/w or ei)/dw

Post by Bert »

The aorist active for [size=150]ὁράω[/size] and for [size=150]εἴδω [/size]is listed as [size=150]εἶδον[/size].
Looking at the stems I would think that [size=150]εἶδον[/size] belongs to [size=150]εἴδω[/size].

I don't think [size=150]εἴδω [/size]occurs in NT Greek so it makes sence that the Koine grammars list this form under [size=150]ὁράω[/size] but why is it listed for [size=150]ὁράω[/size] in Classical Greek also, instead of just leaving a blank?

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

hi bert, that's interesting, looking through lsj it looks like there isn't a present active [size=200]εἴδω[/size] (it's an assumed form, based on other tenses of the verb).

the aorist 2 of that "assumed" verb serves as aorist to [size=200]ὁρᾰω[/size].

so the verbs are locked together. if they left it blank that might not be obvious, and in particular it'd make greek composition harder, if you were trying to track down the aorist of [size=200]ὁρᾰω[/size].

this lsj link explains more:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... 3D%2330876

cheers, chad. :)

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

so the verbs are locked together. if they left it blank that might not be obvious, and in particular it'd make greek composition harder, if you were trying to track down the aorist of o(ra&w
How that? If you had forgotten the aorist of horaw you would look it up in an aorist table wouldn't you?

Anyway... I've often wondered at horaw's forms too. Thanks for this link... I love reading the etymology bits, because my dictionary doesn't have anything about the etymology of words in it at all... :cry:

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Thanks.