victo tandem terrore etc...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

victo tandem terrore etc...

Post by pmda »

In LLPSI Cap XXXVIII a Greek soldier has just surrendered to Aeneas and his band and confessed his part in making war on Troy.

Hoc audiens ipse pater anchises iuveni supplici dextram dedit eumque interrogativ 'quis esset?' et 'unde veniret?'. Ille, victo tandem terrore, haec respondit: '...

Two questions:

1. Anchises waves to him in acknowledgement with his right hand 'dextram dedit' ? I don't believe he extends his hand to him. I think he waves to him to be silent so he can interrogate him. Am I right?

2. ..and this is the tricky one: Ille, victo tandem terrore,...

I believe this is an ablative absolute meaning:

in terror that his life was at an end' I'm taking it that victo is perf. passive participle of vivo, vivere in the masculine ablative singular....

or tandem could simply mean he, in fear of his life, at last responded.....

....thinking about it I suspect it's the latter. I'd be grateful for any guidance.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: victo tandem terrore etc...

Post by pmda »

...or it could mean 'terrified at being captured' with victo being the perf. passive. part. of vinco, vincere...

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

1. rectè dicis, ut opinor
2. victo tandem terrore = having been broken in the end by fear
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

I beg to differ on both accounts: "victo tandem terrore" = "fear finally having been conquered". (To have "victo" in an ablative absolute referring to the subject is very inelegant; in that case it ought to be rewritten as "victus".) Why was fear conquered? Because of Anchises's friendly gesture of extending the hand to be clasped. I don't know if "dextram dare" can mean just "to wave"?

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

one would really have to go to a good Virgil translation to be sure what Orberg means... Though the sense of Orberg's rendering isn't consistent with spontaneous reconciliation or friendliness...

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

"... Anchises gave
his own right hand in swift and generous aid,
and by prompt token cheered the exile's heart,
who, banishing his fears, poured forth this tale:"
(Translated by Theodore C. Williams)

"The good Anchises rais'd him with his hand;
Who, thus encourag'd, answer'd our demand:"
(Translated by John Dryden)

"My father Anchises himself, with little delay, gives the youth his hand and comforts his heart with the present pledge. At last he lays aside his fear and speaks thus:"
(Translated by H. R. Fairclough)

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Alatius, Adrianus

Many thanks. I was about to go looking for translations. Thanks to you both. It seems to be 'fear having been conquered'.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Yes, Alatius was right.
Ita, rectus Alatius.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.