Textkit Logo

Greeting?

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Greeting?

Postby Roman Elite » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:31 am

Ok I've been very mad about this but...I want to know the correct word for a greeting of saying hello. I pretty sure its ave, the latin word for hail but I've also been hearing that it could be saluto. I need to please know the right answer.

Also...I need translations of the following words:

Good Bye-Vale I pretty sure
Thank You-???
How are you?
I'm good
I'm feeling bad

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
phpbb
Roman Elite
Textkit Neophyte

Postby solitario » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:16 am

Remember numbers.

Good Bye = "Vale", when writing/speaking to one person, else "valete".
Thank You = "multas gratias."
How are you = Again with the numbers, "Quid agis?" for one person, else "Quid agitis?"
I'm good = I'd say "valeo" or "bene."

As for "I'm feeling bad," I leave that for someone with better skills than mine. "Non valeo" perhaps?

Hope that helps.
phpbb
solitario
Textkit Neophyte

Postby benissimus » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:26 am

for "Thank You", I think gratias tibi (vobis for plural) ago is more of a standard (assuming first person).

If someone asked "Quid agis?" and you wanted to reply you were not well, I suppose you would use an adverb like misere or male, a verb as solitario suggested, or a statement such as non bene est or miserrimus sum.

Ave means "hail" and can be hello or good-bye. Saluto means "to say hello, to greet". You could say eam salutat and it would mean "he greets/says hello to her", but this could never just mean "hello".
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Learning Latin