Greeting?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Roman Elite
Textkit Neophyte

Greeting?

Post by Roman Elite »

Ok I've been very mad about this but...I want to know the correct word for a greeting of saying hello. I pretty sure its ave, the latin word for hail but I've also been hearing that it could be saluto. I need to please know the right answer.

Also...I need translations of the following words:

Good Bye-Vale I pretty sure
Thank You-???
How are you?
I'm good
I'm feeling bad

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

solitario
Textkit Neophyte

Post by solitario »

Remember numbers.

Good Bye = "Vale", when writing/speaking to one person, else "valete".
Thank You = "multas gratias."
How are you = Again with the numbers, "Quid agis?" for one person, else "Quid agitis?"
I'm good = I'd say "valeo" or "bene."

As for "I'm feeling bad," I leave that for someone with better skills than mine. "Non valeo" perhaps?

Hope that helps.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

for "Thank You", I think gratias tibi (vobis for plural) ago is more of a standard (assuming first person).

If someone asked "Quid agis?" and you wanted to reply you were not well, I suppose you would use an adverb like misere or male, a verb as solitario suggested, or a statement such as non bene est or miserrimus sum.

Ave means "hail" and can be hello or good-bye. Saluto means "to say hello, to greet". You could say eam salutat and it would mean "he greets/says hello to her", but this could never just mean "hello".
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae