"ἦν" in John 1:1

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
uberdwayne
Textkit Fan

"ἦν" in John 1:1

Post by uberdwayne »

Hey Guys,

I was wondering what usage the ἦν's in John 1:1 would be labeled as, I was thinking Gnomic, but appearently, a Gnomic Imperfect doesn't really exist in the NT. If this is a Customary Imperfect, how is it seen as something that extends to before "ἐν ἀρχῃ." Could it be leximatic? Johns use of ειμι rather than γινομαι? Anyway, I've been going through my syntax books, and am having trouble trying to classify these imperfects.

Note: I believe there are other passages that support a trinitarian view, however, I am not looking to start a debate; I am only looking to understand the uses of the imperfects in this particular verse.
μείζων ἐστὶν ὁ ἐν ὑμῖν ἢ ὁ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: "ἦν" in John 1:1

Post by Bert »

Hi Uberdwayne. Sometimes it is not very useful to put a label on a certain usage. If you understand what it means without having a name for it, you are all set. Maybe durative imperfect would be what it could be called. A verbose translation could be "...was and continues to be..."

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: "ἦν" in John 1:1

Post by Markos »

Sometimes it is not very useful to put a label on a certain usage. If you understand what it means without having a name for it, you are all set.
συμφημι δη τῳ Βερτῳ σοφῳ οντι!

{I agree 100% with the wise words of Bert!}
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.