Aeneas, cum a viro ipso certior fieri cuperet

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Aeneas, cum a viro ipso certior fieri cuperet

Post by pmda »

In Cap XXXVIII LLPSI Orberg scribit:

Helenum, Priami filiu, regno Epiri potitum esse atque Andromachen, viduam Hectoris, uxorem duxise!

Aeneas, cum a viro ipso certior fieri cuperet, classe in portu relicta ad urbem progrediebatur.

Nonne Aeneas, cum a viro ipso...... = Aeneas classem in portu reliquit ut urbem progrederetur, cum Heleno loqueretur...etc

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Aeneas, cum a viro ipso certior fieri cuperet

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salve pmda!
Helenum, Priami filium, regno Epiri potitum esse atque Andromachen, viduam Hectoris, uxorem duxisse! Aeneas, cum a viro ipso certior fieri cuperet, classe in portu relicta ad urbem progrediebatur.
Basically you are right. However, classe in portu relicta is an ablative absolute which - to me at least - seems to indicate merely circumstances of lesser importance. Aeneas did not leave the fleet in the harbour in order to traverse the city. Of course, he has to do so to be able to traverse the city (theoretically he might raze the town and draw the ships on shore and all along to the dwelling place of Helenus ;-). But the traversal is only a means. Therefore I would rather say: Aeneas classem in portu reliquit et ad urbem progrediebatur ut cum Heleno loqueretur...

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Carolus, thanks for your guidance.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Carolus, thanks for your guidance. I thought progredi means to go to / towards a place rather than cross it and that, with acc. it would mean going towards the city....but what you say seems to make sense here...

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

Surely it does mean "go to / towards a place"; except for that, I agree with Carolus Raeticus: "Since Aeneas wanted to hear it from Helenus himself, he set forth towards the city (after having left the fleet in the harbour)."