Hello

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
TimC
Textkit Neophyte

Hello

Post by TimC »

Hi, my name is Tim and I live in the UK, some 45 miles west of London.

I am really glad to have found this site. I've recently become inspired to finally get to grips with Latin and have set out to learn independently. It's great to share these things with like minded people.

I was lucky enough to be taught Latin between the ages of 10/11 and 16, but was unfortunately too ignorant to avail myself of the oppportunity at the time. I flunked my formal exam at 16 after deciding that it would do me no good in the real world (I then end up working with the law, so how wrong was I? :roll: ) However having joined a friend's online Gladiator game, visited the town of Calleva (which is just down the road from where I live) where the walls are still intact and the amphitheatre recently excavated and working just round the corner from the British Museum with its extensive collection of Roman antiquities, I decided that now was the right time to pick it up again and make a go of it this time. I hope that it will keep the brain ticking over.

Bizzarely, the text that I am learning from was the forerunner of the one I used all those years ago...

Have any of you come across the British crime writer Lindsay Davis and her informer Marcus Didius Falco? If not you have a treat in store. I can highly recommend the books which combine humour with a real flavour of living in the late 1st Century AD.

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Hi and Welcome to Textkit!
Have any of you come across the British crime writer Lindsay Davis and her informer Marcus Didius Falco? If not you have a treat in store. I can highly recommend the books which combine humour with a real flavour of living in the late 1st Century AD.
In fact I'm currently reading her Three Hands in the Fountain! :D I really enjoy her blend of humour and historical fiction. I started reading her to give me a means by which to a) learn about Rome and b) read something other than all my course texts.

Have you read her books in order? I seem to be consuming them in a rather piece meal fashion as of late...

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: Hello

Post by mariek »

Hi Tim!

Welcome to Textkit!!! Which text are you using to learn Latin?

TimC
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TimC »

MDS wrote: Have you read her books in order? I seem to be consuming them in a rather piece meal fashion as of late...
Many thanks for the welcome.

I have read them in order. I was recommended them by someone at work and by that stage the first five had been written. Since then they have become a staple Christmas present to my father who then passes them back to me.

I've currently got 'The Jupiter Myth' and 'The Accusers' in my to read pile.

'Three Hands in the Fountain' is one of my favourites.

Have you read the Robert Graves Claudius books?

TimC
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Hello

Post by TimC »

mariek wrote:
Hi Tim!

Welcome to Textkit!!! Which text are you using to learn Latin?
Thank you mariek.

The text is the 'Cambridge Latin Course'. The first books are set in Pompeii and are centered around life leading to the eruption of Vesuvius. Its pretty basic stuff to begin with: canis est in horto etc., But it is familiar from all those years ago. I showed it to someone at work today and she remembered it to and now wants a copy.

I'm not sure that its going to tackle the grammer head on, which is something that I am interested in. A series called "So you really want to Learn Latin" seems to be highly recommended, so I might give that a go. Alternatively I saw a copy of Kennedy's Latin Primer the other day, which really take me back to school!

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Have you read the Robert Graves Claudius books?
I have indeed! Another excellent writer you might wish to check out is Colleen McCullough.
've currently got 'The Jupiter Myth' and 'The Accusers' in my to read pile.
Havn't read 'The Jupiter Myth' but you'll enjoy 'The Accusers'. :D
The text is the 'Cambridge Latin Course'. The first books are set in Pompeii and are centered around life leading to the eruption of Vesuvius. Its pretty basic stuff to begin with: canis est in horto etc., But it is familiar from all those years ago. I showed it to someone at work today and she remembered it to and now wants a copy.
Its an excellent starting point and will provide you with a nice historical overview to boot. Yoiu are already aware of the grammatical limitations of the text and with those in mind enjoy the antics of Grumio and Metella!

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I got my sig from Unit 1 of the Cambridge course. It made me laugh so I adopted it (those stories are hilarious... but now I am in the more serious ones so they aren't as much fun).
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

ps: that course is also the same reason I now cry "furcifer!" when I am angry with someone (not to their face of course ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus