ius

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
phil
Textkit Fan

ius

Post by phil »

In this story I'm reading, there are these two blokes 'aving a bit of a barney:
"Atque ea rixa adeo inter eos exarsit, ut etiam pugnis certarent. Tandem in ius ambulant."
And now a quarrel erupted between them, and they even fought with their fists. Finally they walked in ius.
I'm assuming it means something like went to court (over the matter), but I can't find that meaning of ius anywhere. Advice would be appreciated.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

I found this for going to court in an online dictionary (Latin-Dutch):

in ius (ad)ire; in ius duci; in ius vocare, trahere alqm

Ingrid

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

They may have walked into some nice broth.

Artemidoros
Textkit Neophyte

In iure

Post by Artemidoros »

Trials in Rome took place before a praetor and ius is the place where that magistrate administered law. So, in ius ire, means that they went to the praetor in order to have their quarrel settled by law.
Roman trials had two parts: in iure and apud iudicem. The first part took part before the praetor (hence its name), the second one before a private judge.
This meaning of ius is widely attested in the writings of the jurists or even in Cicero's works. It was in fact the working base of the Roman legal system.

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

Thank you all