Hello

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Kat
Textkit Neophyte

Hello

Post by Kat »

Hi, i don't actually take latin but im trying to teach myself at the moment. I'm slowly getting somewhere.

Latin is such a beautiful language and i first got into it through an english essay. It was a creative writting piece and i set it in Old England and many of the characters had to speak latin so i chose to learn it and since then i've continued to try and teach myself.

I'm into writting short stories and poems as well as sword fighting, totally in love with my collection of Samurai swords :D

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: Hello

Post by mariek »

Hi Kat!

Welcome to Textkit. I think it's wonderful that you're teaching yourself Latin. Did you know that there are downloadable grammars & readers on this site? You may find them useful. Just click on the "Learn Latin" link above. You'll also find downloadable e-books too! Feel free to ask questions on the forums.

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Welcome Kat!

We'll get along just fine - writing and swords are two of my loves as well! (except that I don't know how to use any of the swords in my collection. I mean, one can guess that a small Arabian sword must be manipulated differently to a large two-hand Chinese sword, but apart from such speculations I'm clueless.)

As for writing:
poetry - definitely!
short stories - I'm not quite so fond of the genre, but now and then I have an idea that works well as such.
My writings tend to be rather philosophical and memoir-ish - capturing the moment, bending the rules of language to serve a purpose...
How about you?

I'm for Greek rather than Latin, but you will find no shortage of Latin-lovers here! Be sure to check out the Learning Latin board, and if you have the courage, try conversing in Latin at the Agora.

Should you have any trouble with the forums, please don't hesitate to contact me or any of the other moderators.

Good luck with the Latin, and I hope we'll get to know you better!
~(* Raya

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Welcome to Textkit!
I wonder if your teacher could read those bits of your story, which were in Latin :wink: ... Are you studying English?
I used to write a bit myself, but (warning, sarcasm tag open) my teachers luckily managed to kill off my love of writing, so now I'm much happier just watching films (sarcasm tag close). :( I've tried to start writing again, but it's frustrating, because my stories are so rubbish and I have no practice what so ever. I'm not actually one who's easily frustrated, I'm known to be the most persevering person ever, but my teachers convinced me that creative writing is rubbish and only a waste of time...
Hope your Latin studies go alright, it's no doubt a huge challenge to teach yourself Latin, but others here have managed the language wonderfully, I hope they inspire you!

Kat
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kat »

I love writting poetry, but it only comes to me when i find my muse....which isnt very often :s

The short stories i write are quite dark and normally have many twists that leave the reader more confused then anything :)
You shouldn't give up because someone told you they don't like your stories, thats there opinion and other peoples may differ. Don't set out to write the perfect story just start with something simple and see how it can progress.

My sword collection consists mainly of Katana sowrds but i do have a few tanto's and my favourite at the moment is my ninja samurai sword :) They're not collectors sword though,they all have sharpened blades so they are very dangerous :s

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Welcome! You had better learn Latin! I mean, it will be of great advantage to you!

I always begin and the story rules, then I become rather bored and it begins to suck. Ah the mentality of a child. I did write a 200 page part of a planned novel once; it took me but 6 weeks, then I became bored. And I had an awesome ending which was incredibly disturbing, it was such a pity that I lost enthusiasm, not for the story itself (particularly with that finale) but writing pages was not preferred any more to playing games.
The ending was so class that it came from a dream, rather sick but I love my dreams.

Plebecula
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Plebecula »

Kat wrote:*snippity-snip*
My sword collection consists mainly of Katana sowrds but i do have a few tanto's and my favourite at the moment is my ninja samurai sword :) They're not collectors sword though,they all have sharpened blades so they are very dangerous :s
Live blades? do you fight with them? :shock:

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Oh... Katana swords! I'm learning how to fight with those, but only with a wooden one of course... I'm too crap to use a real one, I'd cut myself and others :wink: . Wish I could use a proper sword, but I don't think I'll ever progress that far.