Obscure passage from Tacitus

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Nesrad
Textkit Fan

Obscure passage from Tacitus

Post by Nesrad »

From the Annals, book XIII, c. 26:

Per idem tempus actum in senatu de fraudibus libertorum efflagitatumque ut adversus male meritos revocandae libertatis ius patronis daretur. nec deerant qui censerent. sed consules relationem incipere non ausi ignaro principe, perscripsere tamen consensum senatus. ille an auctor constitutionis fieret, ut inter paucos et sententiae adversos, quibusdam coalitam libertate inreverentiam eo prorupisse frementibus vine an aequo cum patronis iure agerent, sententiam eorum consultarent ac verberibus manus ultro intenderent, impulere vel poenam suam dissuadentes. quid enim aliud laeso patrono concessum quam ut centesimum ultra lapidem in oram Campaniae libertum releget? ceteras actiones promiscas et pares esse: tribuendum aliquod telum quod sperni nequeat. nec grave manu missis per idem obsequium retinendi libertatem per quod adsecuti sint: at criminum manifestos merito ad servitutem retrahi, ut metu coerceantur quos beneficia non mutavissent.

Any volunteers?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Obscure passage from Tacitus

Post by adrianus »

I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Nesrad
Textkit Fan

Post by Nesrad »

Look it up in a translation? That would be no fun.

I've been wrestling with this passage for a while and still can't seem to get it. I'm hoping for some insights from others.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Maybe this? // Forsit hoc?
"But the consuls did not dare to put the motion without the knowledge of the senate's leader (the emperor); they however recorded the general feeling of the senate—being that authority for the decision should be made, while few even were against the feeling, from certain ones clamoring that as a consequence [eo] of a lack of respect having broken out, born of freedom, were they [the freedmen] acting by force or with equal rights as their patrons, that they questioned [/debate] their [patrons'] opinion and made to strike with blows of the hand, even arguing against their own punishment."

Nesrad
Textkit Fan

Post by Nesrad »

The passage just doesn't make sense. Where is the main verb upon which depends the clause "an ... fieret"? maybe "dubitatum est" is implied. What is the function of "impulere" and why is it in the indicative?

Here's my best try:
"It was unsure (implied "dubitatum est") whether the emperor would approve the law, being surrounded as he was by a few freedmen opposed to the proposition, while on the other hand other men were grumbling that freedom had nourished the disrespect of their freedmen to the point that it was uncertain whether they would beat their patrons or sue them, whether they would ask their patrons' opinion or spontaneously attack them; they had forced this law upon themselves even while arguing against their punishment."

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

impulere intenderent =? they were straining to strike with blows of the fist

Nesrad
Textkit Fan

Post by Nesrad »

Yes, that's a possibility. Nice.