about the preposition in + abl.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

about the preposition in + abl.

Post by Junya »

Hi.
quam magnum est in viribus suis latus viri
I ask you about in viribus suis.
I suppose this would be a form of abl. of respect or abl. of standard of measuring,
but in the grammar, I can't find an example in which the preposition in is added to those abl..
But, if prepositions are such things as are used to specify the meaning of bare case, I think the addition of in is no problem even if the grammar doesn't mention it....
then, do you think in + abl. can express "in what respect?" or "in what standard ?" ?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: about the preposition in + abl.

Post by adrianus »

in + abl. = "in the case of" (L&S, I.C..."where a person or thing is thought of as in a certain condition, situation, or relation")
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: about the preposition in + abl.

Post by Junya »

It would be the same to say "great in the case of its powers" or "great in reltion to its powers" and to say "great in respect of its powers".
But, I can't find a sample of in used like "in respect of" under the article you mentioned in the in page of L&S,
I can only find what you mentioned, “in hoc homine saepe a me quaeris, etc.,” in the case of, Cic. Verr. 2, 3, 3, § 6:.
This sample and quam magnum est in viribus suis latus viri are quite different in construction, so I'm not sure if I can apply this "in the case of" to the in of in viribus suis.