Requesting grammar check...

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Requesting grammar check...

Post by Eureka »

Because I'm fairly new to this language, I just want to make shure the grammar of my new signature is correct:

σοφιὰ δίδωσι ἀνθρωπῷ ῥώμην.

:) I anyone spots an error could you please let me know. (Also if I've inadvertently copied someone else's signature.)

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

hi eureka, just knock the accents on wisdom and to man back a syllable (and change them to acutes). otherwise it looks right :)

you could also put definite articles in front of the words other than the verb if you feel like it, but you don't have to.

cheers, chad. :)

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Oops, thanks Chad. (For some reason I thought the masculine dative singular always put a circumflex on the final syllable. :? )

I think, with the definite articles left out, the sentence has that laconism people admire so much in Latin.

Although,
ἡ σοφία δίδωσι ἀνθρώπῳ τὴν ῥώμην.
Has some charm. But, is there any subtile difference in meaning?

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Eureka wrote:ἡ σοφία δίδωσι ἀνθρώπῳ τὴν ῥώμην.
Has some charm. But, is there any subtile difference in meaning?
In normal Greek prose the article is used to speak of things in general (like "the cat is a furry animal"), so it would make sense to use the article with sophia here.

However, in poetry, and in gnomic statements like this one, the article tends to be freely dropped.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;