Textkit Logo

Septuagint Jonah

Are you learning New Testament Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback. Use this forum too to discuss all things Koine, LXX & New Testament Greek including grammar, syntax, textbook talk and more.

Septuagint Jonah

Postby bingley » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:15 am

1:6

[face=SPIonic]kai\ prosh=lqen pro\j au)t\n o( prwreu\j kai\ ei0=pen au)tw|=Ti/ su\ r(e/gxeij; a)na/sta kai\ e)pikalou= to\n qeo/n sou, o(/pwj diasw/sh= o( qeo\j h(ma=j kai\ mh\ a)polw/meqa.

prwreu\j [/face]
doesn't appear to be in the LSJ. It's obviously some sort of ship's officer. Does anyone know more precisely?
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby klewlis » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:48 pm

Bauer doesn't seem to have it listed (!) but L&S says:

[face=SPIonic]prwreuj, o(, [/face]([face=SPIonic]prwra[/face]) = [face=SPIonic]prwrathj[/face]

and then:
[face=SPIonic]prwrathj[/face]: a man who stood at the ship's head to give signals to the steersman, a look-out man.

(sorry I can't find the iota subscript! :)
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby klewlis » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:54 pm

ps: I just realized that I didn't find it in bauer because it only contains NT... I thought it had LXX as well! apparently I have never tried to read in LXX... :)

what are you using for a lexicon??
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Kopio » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:28 pm

The LEH Lexicon gives this definition:
PRWREUS,-EWS N3M 0-0-2-0-0-2 Ez 27:29; Jon 1:6 officer in
command at the bow (of a ship) Cf. Walters 1973, 69

It is a noun masc sing nom

Hope this helps!
Kopio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby bingley » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:28 am

Just the Perseus LSJ. I can't find a Septuagint online which is linked to a lexicon.

I'm working my way through a set of meditations for Lent and decided to combine them with my language work by reading the Septuagint or the Greek NT if I'm studying Greek and the Vulgate if I'm studying Latin.

Thanks for the help both of you.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Kopio » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:54 pm

Just a side note....the LEH Lexicon is the only true Septuagint Lexicon out there....it's a two part, paperback set that runs around $60-80 US Dollars. I have used it extensively doing Data Base work for the software company that I work for.

The Lexicon was put together by three European Gentlemen (Lu$t, Eynickel, and Hauspie) and they did a pretty stand up job of it....however, it does have several rather bothersome quirks. The German Bible Society Publishes it...you can get it at Amazon Here... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/3438051257/qid=1078595421//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl14/102-7928789-4677705?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
It appears to be on sale right now...note that the link is only for Volume One.

Hope this helps
Kopio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby bingley » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:44 am

thanks for the reference, Matt, but that's rather more than my book-buying budget will allow -- especially when shipping is added :shock:

Jonah Chapter 2, v. 6

[face=SPIonic] periexu/qh u(/dwr moi e(/wj yuxh=j, a)/bussoj e)ku/klowse/n me e)sxa/th, e)/du h( kefalh/ mou ei)j sxisma\j o)re/wn. [/face]

What does [face=SPIonic] e)/du [/face] mean? Perseus can't parse it.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Skylax » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:11 pm

bingley wrote:What does [face=SPIonic] e)/du [/face] mean? Perseus can't parse it.

Strangely, I have got a parsing from Perseus : from [face=SPIonic]du/w[/face] 2

I would say it is a 3rd person singular (athematic) aorist II indicative from [face=SPIonic]du/omai[/face] (this aorist [face=SPIonic]e)/dun, e)/dus, e)/du[/face] etc. has a form of active voice but the meaning is of middle voice), thus "my head went into mountain clefts".

[face=SPIonic]Xa=ire[/face]
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby bingley » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:43 am

Thanks skylax
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby bingley » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:47 am

Jonah 3:3

[face=SPIonic] kai\ a)ne/sth Iwnaj kai\ e)poreu/qh ei)j Nineuh, kaqw\j e)lalhsen ku/rioj: h( de\ Nineuh h)=n po/lij mega/lh tw|= qew|= w(sei porei/aj o(dou= h(merw=n triw=n [/face]

Would anyone care to comment on the dative of [face=SPIonic]tw|= qew|= [/face]
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Skylax » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:44 pm

In my eyes, it is a dative of reference : see Smyth section 1496, so meaning that the city was large "in the eyes of God". Following the comments of my Bible, it matches a Hebraic superlative ("l'expression la plus forte du superlatif en hébreu", it says).
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby bingley » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:40 am

I did wonder if it might be. Thanks for the confirmation, Skylax.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek