H & Q Unit 6 English to Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

H & Q Unit 6 English to Greek

Post by bingley »

Could someone look over these English to Greek sentences for me please. The main points of this unit are:

1. 3rd declension nouns
2. Relative pronouns
3. The subjunctive in independent clauses
4. Prepositions of time

1. Let us be taught during the day at least in order that we may dance during the night.
[size=200] τῆς ἡμέρας γε διδαχθώμεθα τοῦ χορεῦσαι τῆς νυκτός. [/size]

2. Young man, if you should rule the land for five days, would we be harmed by our enemies?
[size=200]ὦ νεανία, εἰ τῆς χώρας πέντε ἡμέρας ἄρχοις, ἆρα ὑπὸ τῶν πολεμίων βλάψαιμεν άν;[/size]

3. Friend, do not bury the unjust men in the plain. The plain, you know, is sacred to the goddess by whom the land has been guarded.
[size=200]ὦ φίλε, τοὺς ἄδικους ἐν τῷ πεδίῳ μὴ θαψῃς. τὸ πεδίον τοι τῆς θεοῦ ἱερὸν ᾗ ἡ χῶρα πεφύλακται. [/size]

4. If you harm the horses which were sent to the soldiers, the war will be stopped within six days.
[size=200]ἐάν τοὺς ἵππους οἵ τοῖς στρατιώταις ἐπέμφθησαν βλάψητε, ὁ πόλεμος ἑξ ἡμερῶν παυθήσεται.[/size]

5. The young men by whom the goats and horses will be sent into the market place are not willing to be educated by the wise poet.
[size=200]ὑπὸ τοῦ ποιητοῦ τοῦ σοφοῦ παιδεύεσθαι οὐκ ἐθέλουσι οἱ νεανίαι, ὑφ’ ὧν οἱ αἶγες ἵπποι τε εἰς τὴν ἀγορὰν πεμφθήσονται.[/size]

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

1. Let us be taught during the day at least in order that we may dance during the night.
διδαχθώμεθα τοῦ χορεῦσαι τῆς νυκτός
Fine aorists, but why not presents, if the actions are to be repeated and/or last for some time ?
« in order that » : at least τοῦ χορεῦσαι ἕνεκα
but I would use ὀρχέομαι and say
τῆς γε ἡμέρας διδασκώμεθ’ ὅπως τῆς νυκτὸς ὀρχώμεθα.
Variant for « in order that… »
- ὡς ὀρχησόμενοι [future participle] or
- ἔπι τῷ ὀρχεῖσθαι

Young man, if you should rule the land for five days, would we be harmed by our enemies?
ὦ νεανία, εἰ τῆς χώρας πέντε ἡμέρας ἄρχοις, ἆρα ὑπὸ τῶν πολεμίων βλάψαιμεν άν;

Well done ! correct simply βλαβεῖμεν ἄν or βλαβείημεν ἄν [passive aorist optative]

In the following sentences, I have just modified some details :

3. Friend, do not bury the unjust men in the plain. The plain, you know, is sacred to the goddess by whom the land has been guarded.
ὦ φίλε, τοὺς ἀδίκους ἐν τῷ πεδίῳ μὴ θάψῃς. τὸ γάρ τοι πεδίον τῆς θεοῦ ἱερὸν ᾗ ἡ χώρα πεφύλακται ‐ σέσωσται.

4. If you harm the horses which were sent to the soldiers, the war will be stopped within six days.
ἐὰν τοὺς ἵππους οἳ τοῖς στρατιώταις ἐπέμφθησαν βλάψητε, ὁ πόλεμος ἑξ ἡμερῶν παυθήσεται.

5. The young men by whom the goats and horses will be sent into the market place are not willing to be educated by the wise poet.
ὑπὸ τοῦ ποιητοῦ τοῦ σοφοῦ παιδεύεσθαι οὐκ ἐθέλουσι οἱ νεανίαι, ὑφ’ ὧν αἱ9 αἶγες οἵ θ’ ἵπποι εἰς τὴν ἀγορὰν πεμφθήσονται.

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Fine aorists, but why not presents, if the actions are to be repeated and/or last for some time ?
« in order that » : at least τοῦ χορεῦσαι ἕνεκα
I read the English as referring to just one day and night, though it could also be taken to mean days and nights in general.

In reading the Septuagint version of Jonah, I've come across τοῦ + infinitive for purpose a lot. I suspect H & Q actually want the ὅπως
+ subjunctive you suggest.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

bingley wrote:I read the English as referring to just one day and night, though it could also be taken to mean days and nights in general.
Ah yes, so it would be understandable.
bingley wrote: In reading the Septuagint version of Jonah, I've come across τοῦ + infinitive for purpose a lot.
It is interesting, I will check it. Moreover, I love the story of Jonah, the betrayed prophet.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

About τοῦ + infinitive denoting purpose. Smyth section 1408 mentions it, noting that it is often a negative phrase : τοῦ μή. Let's say that it is not the more usual way to express purpose. I had never seen it, so thank you !

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

Especially common in Thucydides, if I remember correctly.

Ptolemaios