Cicero pro plancio 64

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Cicero pro plancio 64

Post by ingrid70 »

I've got a problem with these sentences:

Non vereor ne mihi (ali)quid, iudices, videar adrogare, si de quaestura
mea dixero. Quamvis enim illa floruerit, tamen eum me postea fuisse
in maximis imperiis arbitror ut non ita multum mihi gloriae sit ex
quaesturae laude repetendum.

I understand the meaning: he is speaking about his quaestorship, and that there is not much glory to be gained from it, because he has been in higher positions later.

What I don't get, is the 'eum'. I don't know what it is referring to, nor what it is doing in this sentence anyway. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Ingrid

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Cicero pro plancio 64

Post by adrianus »

eum = "a man/one", ut opinor
eum repetendum, "as someone who should be recalled", I think
"While it indeed was successful, nevertheless I consider myself, who subsequently was in the greatest positions of power, as one [/a man] who, should he be[/were he] recalled as such [i.e., a quaestor], would not garner that much glory from praise due the quaestorship."
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Nesrad
Textkit Fan

Post by Nesrad »

This is how I understand the sentence:
For although it was a success, I don't need to brag much about my quaestorship, since I showed what I was made of afterwards when I held the highest office (consul).

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Ad quid pertineat "eum" rogat Ingrida.

Ingrid wonders about the "eum", Nesrad.
Last edited by adrianus on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

gratias tibi ago, Adriane. Nunc id intellego.

Ingrid

Nesrad
Textkit Fan

Post by Nesrad »

Censui, Adriane, sensum illius vocis clariorem fieri si totum locum verterem, neque paenitet omnia de integro me interpretatum esse cum plane erraveris de verbo "repetendum".

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Ingrid's question is a lovely one. I imagined "eum repetendum" and "multum repetendum". I thought that "eum repetendum" made sense to me but if you say that's clearly wrong, I presume you mean "multum repetendum sit" is clearly right. That's fine.

Then I would translate as:

Perbona questio Ingridae, "cur eum pronoun?" Et "eum repetendum" et "multum repetendum sit" vidi et primum elegi. Dicis me planè erravisse. Licet. Sic verto:

"I consider myself to have been a man subsequently in the greatest positions of power, [to the extent/so] that not as much glory ought to be claimed for me from praise due the quaestorship."