Textkit Logo

sentence translation

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

sentence translation

Postby foobytheinsane1 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:05 pm

Hi, I need help translating this sentence:
"...quibus freti Romani urbem ab initiis parvis ad tantum imperium protulerant."
I know what all of the words mean but I'm not sure how "quibus freti" fits in or what it means... so I'm not sure how to piece it together.

Thanks
foobytheinsane1
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Ulpianus » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:14 pm

I'd rather see the whole sentence, but I'd take freti as nom pl. with Romani, and quibus as probably an ablative rel. pronoun: Relying on these [men/women/things], the Romans etc.
Ulpianus
Textkit Member

Postby foobytheinsane1 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:15 pm

Here is my attempt at translation... in case I managed to sound particularly indolent and adverse to trying to work this out on my own

I said "...relying on which they had brought forward the city of Rome from small beginning to so great an empire"
foobytheinsane1
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Ulpianus » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:22 pm

Nearly, but I don't think quite. Because Romani doesn't look like an adjective (doesn't agree with urbem), and it's not likely to be a genitive (because it would be singular). So I'd guess "Relying on which the Romans had brought the City ... " unless something in context told me that "they" could not be "the Romans"
Ulpianus
Textkit Member

Postby foobytheinsane1 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:00 am

Thank you
foobytheinsane1
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin