sentence translation

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
foobytheinsane1
Textkit Neophyte

sentence translation

Post by foobytheinsane1 »

Hi, I need help translating this sentence:
"...quibus freti Romani urbem ab initiis parvis ad tantum imperium protulerant."
I know what all of the words mean but I'm not sure how "quibus freti" fits in or what it means... so I'm not sure how to piece it together.

Thanks

Ulpianus
Textkit Member

Post by Ulpianus »

I'd rather see the whole sentence, but I'd take freti as nom pl. with Romani, and quibus as probably an ablative rel. pronoun: Relying on these [men/women/things], the Romans etc.

foobytheinsane1
Textkit Neophyte

Here is my attempt at translation... in case I managed to sound particularly indolent and adverse to trying to work this out on my own

I said "...relying on which they had brought forward the city of Rome from small beginning to so great an empire"

Ulpianus
Textkit Member

Post by Ulpianus »

Nearly, but I don't think quite. Because Romani doesn't look like an adjective (doesn't agree with urbem), and it's not likely to be a genitive (because it would be singular). So I'd guess "Relying on which the Romans had brought the City ... " unless something in context told me that "they" could not be "the Romans"

foobytheinsane1
Textkit Neophyte

Thank you