Textkit Logo

Exercise to be corrected by my friends

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Exercise to be corrected by my friends

Postby Leonidas » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:17 pm

How to do it?

1)Magister meus amici mei discipulus fuit

2) Proelium non magistris sed pueris perniciosum fuerat

Here my answers: 1)My master was a disciple of my friend

2) Sorry,a couldnt translate it: I beg for your help! :lol:
phpbb
Leonidas
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Ulpianus » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:31 pm

1 looks right to me (though I would prefer "teacher" to "master" as a basic definition of magister so as not to get muddled with dominus).

2 I'd translate (I think, it's an odd sentiment): The battle had been dangerous/destructive for the boys not the teachers. Literally: the battle not for the teachers but for the boys dangerous had been. What you have is a simple sentence proelium ... perniciosum fuerat and two datives non magistris sed pueris which indicate the people for whom the battle was dangerous.
Ulpianus
Textkit Member

Thanks Ulpianus

Postby Leonidas » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:02 pm

Ulpianus wrote:1 looks right to me (though I would prefer "teacher" to "master" as a basic definition of magister so as not to get muddled with dominus).

2 I'd translate (I think, it's an odd sentiment): The battle had been dangerous/destructive for the boys not the teachers. Literally: the battle not for the teachers but for the boys dangerous had been. What you have is a simple sentence proelium ... perniciosum fuerat and two datives non magistris sed pueris which indicate the people for whom the battle was dangerous.
Thanks a lot my friend,you helped me quite a lot. Concerning the translation of Magister to "Master",it is because I am Brazilian and in fact the word was "master" in Portuguese so I had to put the translation in english to ask your help!
phpbb
Leonidas
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin