Is anyone approving new member posts?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
ORabbit
Textkit Neophyte

Is anyone approving new member posts?

Post by ORabbit »

I just joined on Thursday last week, and my posts have yet to appear. I guess this one won't appear either, so maybe this is futile. I just wondered how long it usually takes for a moderator to approve posts?

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Is anyone approving new member posts?

Post by thesaurus »

I am one of the few people ostensibly charged with approving new posts. I have been away from textkit for a while now due to various obligations, but the real problem is the insane amount of spam this forum is receiving. There are literally hundreds of spam posts and threads appearing on a daily basis, and it has become nearly impossible to keep up with the flow.

Since people's first two posts/threads pend moderator approval, we have to sort through this deluge to green light each new poster. I've messaged the forum owner Jeff about it, but I haven't received a reply. Basically, something needs to be done on the back-end to reduce the amount of spam accounts being created, because we part time moderators can't keep up with the flow. The manual approval of first posts is keeping the forum from being ruined by spam, but it's also stanching the influx of new users.

I'll do my best to sort through the "new posts" awaiting approval, as that section is more manageable than the "new threads." Ideally, it shouldn't take us long to approve your first two posts, and then you'll be set free.

Here's hoping for a more permanent solution...
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

ORabbit
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ORabbit »

Good to know. Thanks for your help!

katzenjammer
Textkit Neophyte

Post by katzenjammer »

Sounds like you guys need an anti-spam software upgrade - no doubt $ is a problem? Is there a donation button hidden somewhere? On other boards I've been a part of the expectation is that everyone who participates regularly gives something on a monthly basis.

NordicMan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NordicMan »

I am wondering whether my new membership/existence has been approved or recognised. I wished to write a post, but it seems that the last member to be approved was in the third week of October, and so mine has not appeared.

Thanks for answering the first poster of this thread. It gives me some light.

Σεβαστός
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Σεβαστός »

If someone could mark me as green I would really appreciate it... so far I have only been able to post once in one week :(.
hic Graeca doctrina ore tenus exercitus animum bonis artibus non induerat.

Σεβαστός
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Σεβαστός »

Thanks to whomever accepted my last posts; it seems fine now :).
hic Graeca doctrina ore tenus exercitus animum bonis artibus non induerat.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

This has all really been my fault. The spam is totally out of control and it swamps the moderators abilities to approve what's real. I have spent the day working on the database to clean out the 30K or so fake accounts and I have improved the registration features to hopefully make improvements.

I'm sorry for the frustrations.

Thanks,
Jeff
Textkit Founder

JamesEubank
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JamesEubank »

Really a hard job you are doing Mr. Admin...
I think if initiatives were made at start of the forum creation, you would not suffer too much. You should get support from Anti-spam software.....

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

The spam can be difficult. Most of the spam prevention works, but we get a steady stream of spam from real humans - that's the challenge. Take this spam message for example that I deleted this morning:
I'd say best way are college courses. Since money is an issue books is the only alternative because
Ancient Greek is a very difficult language.

picnic spots near delhi
It looks pretty good, and yet there is a link in the bottom. My observation has been that the majority of the human spam is coming out of India, where the goal is linking building SEO. What's funny, is that this is really bad SEO - a link from a page about ancient greek to a page about picnic sports isn't worth much. 10 years ago, that kind of thing did work - but not today.

Thanks and Welcome to Textkit James!

JamesEubank wrote:Really a hard job you are doing Mr. Admin...
I think if initiatives were made at start of the forum creation, you would not suffer too much. You should get support from Anti-spam software.....
Textkit Founder

Poustman
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Poustman »

Looking forward to my first post being approved too; thank you for the explanation of the very understandable reason for the wait!