Key for Beginner's Latin Question

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Key for Beginner's Latin Question

Post by LisaNYork »

Hi everyone,

I am planning on using D'ooge's text Latin For Beginners.
I noticed that someone on the board said not to follow the key
too closely, as it may contain errors?
I am worried that that will slow me down. I am very new to Latin.
Can anyone give me some advice? I would imagine that as I go
through the text I will be impeded if I can't rely on the key for
accuracy. :roll:
Any reassurance/guidance would be greatly appreciated.
thanks very much,
Lisa

Kerastes
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Key for Beginner's Latin Question

Post by Kerastes »

LisaNYork wrote:I noticed that someone on the board said not to follow the key
too closely, as it may contain errors?
I am worried that that will slow me down.
Back in my music school days, when my ear training instructor told the class to practice with the piano, a student complained that his piano was a little out of tune. The teacher replied, "not as out of tune as you are." :!:

Don't worry about minor inaccuracies in the key. Best thing to do is just jump right into it and post questions or concerns to this board if you feel troubled. I'd be glad to look at sample exercises you do, as I'm beginning to make a thorough review of Latin myself.

Kerastes

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Post them here, as I did, without a key :o On most occasions in Latin there will be multitudinous possibilities to say the fundamentally same thing. :wink:

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Thanks very much!

Post by LisaNYork »

I appreciate your helpfulness! I have been reading through the text and it is pretty easy so far. It seems like a sensible and orderly presentation.
I had been working through the Henle text, but did not feel it presented the grammar/syntax clearly.
I also have a copy of Traupman's Lingua Latina. Have you heard of these?
One more Q...
When I print out the text, it is pretty small. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just the way it is?
Thanks again, :D
Lisa

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I'll hazard to say, it's an awesome Beginner's grammar. Stick with it and it will serve you well.

It should be printed out as the size on paper of a normal book page...but in the print options of Adobe you may tweak the options to make 4 pages fit on one sheet or one page to be enlarged to the size of the sheet. I prefer the normal book page size for realism.

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Thanks very much

Post by LisaNYork »

I will try to figure out the printing options for adobe.
I appreciate your help. :)

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Hi Lisa,

As I'm the one that collated the key, from the notes of several people, I'm always interested in anyone who might find errors :).

The best way to work with it, as it does contain errors, is as follows: you do the exercises, and check them against the key. If you find a difference, you go back to the book, reread the sentence, and see if you can find out which is right. If yours is right and the key is wrong, or if you don't know which is wrong, you post a message here. Together, we will find out which answer is wrong, and if it's the key, than I'll correct it.
It will be some time before the corrected key is posted as it is as yet incomplete, and I hope to add some exercises before posting it again. So, additions are welcome :).

bye,

Ingrid

Kerastes
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Thanks very much!

Post by Kerastes »

LisaNYork wrote: I had been working through the Henle text, but did not feel it presented the grammar/syntax clearly.
I've seen some of that series. Even used the second year book in high school. I still have the Henle Latin Grammar, a separate book in the series which I still find serviceable because of its organization, clarity, and lack of detail. It's even shorter than Bennett's New Latin Grammar, which Bennett purposely made concise for school use.
I also have a copy of Traupman's Lingua Latina. Have you heard of these?
That I haven't, but I'll certainly keep an eye out for it. I like Traupman's dictionary for portability.

Kerastes