Looking for Vulgate Bible

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Iulius Caesar
Textkit Neophyte

Looking for Vulgate Bible

Post by Iulius Caesar »

Hello, I am new to this site and a beginner in Latin (using Wheelock's 6th Ed.) I was wondering, does anyone out there know where i can find the Latin Vulgate? I really wish to translate some passages in it. Also, I have been struggling with a line from Caesar's De Bello Gallico; it is actually the first line.... I can comprehend most of the other stuff.... but i just cannot grasp what the exact sentence is: Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres..... I dunno i must be missing something.

solitario
Textkit Neophyte

Post by solitario »

SALVE!

I think the first line means "All of Gaul is divided into three parts." But I'm new, so you might want to get a second opinion.
As for the Vulgate, you can find it at a lot of places. Here's a link.

VALE BENE!

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

I agree with Solitario's translation.
Welcome to textkit, Jules. You are trying to read Caesar while learning Latin? You've set yourself a really challenging task there - good luck! There are several people here learning Latin with Wheelock, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask - there's lots of help at hand.
Cheers, Phil

Alundis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alundis »

If you're looking for an electronic Vulgate, I recommend the program at this site: http://vulsearch.sourceforge.net It displays Latin side-by-side with an English translation (Douay-Rheims). Actually, the newest version of the program can display several different bible texts side-by-side, including the Clementine Vulgate, Stuttgart Vulgate, a French translation.

The Nova Vulgata is available at the Vatican's website.

You can find a print version of the Stuttgart Vulgate easier.

However, I couldn't find a Clementine vulgate, the one with punctuation, listed on a major bookseller's website. I bought a copy of an edition edited by Colunga & Turrado, through this site: http://www.mycatholicstore.com/ It's printed in Spain, and the maps are labeled in Spanish. I've found a few typos in it, so the text isn't infallible ;p

You can also buy books of the Nova Vulgata from the Vatican press, but they're very expensive.

Finally, I recommend Leo F. Stelten's Dictionary of Ecclesiastical Latin. It's quite affordable, and it contains many definitions found in the Vulgate, but not in Cassel's nor WORDS.

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

You might also find the Perseus text of the Vulgate useful: http://perseus.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/pte ... ;query=toc. Each word is linked to a parser and the Lewis and Short Latin dictionary.

Iulius Caesar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Iulius Caesar »

Thanks on the Vulgate help... About the translation... I thought the translation was as you have said also... but "Gallia" is not in the genetive... omnis ([of?] all/entire/whole et cetera) appears to be in the genetive singular (possible ablative/dative, but that would make less sense :wink:) .... I dunno.... maybe there is another genetive form i have not yet learned :wink: Every time i learn one form they throw 4 others at you ... always possible. I know the meaning of it... just it is confusing me with the cases.
Caesar is interesting... certainly excercises your dictionary skills.

Vale, amici et amicae. Citius altius, fortius!
Last edited by Iulius Caesar on Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ulpianus
Textkit Member

Post by Ulpianus »

No genitive, because (apart from the fact that there is some inconsistency in the use of a partitive genitive with omnis), C. is not really saying anything about "all" (as in each/every) part of Gaul, but something about Gaul "as a whole", as a unity. Maybe better than "All of Gaul" one would say "The whole of Gaul" or "Gaul as a whole" I'd take omnis as a nominative adjective agreeing with Gallia.