Exclamations in Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
philplus
Textkit Neophyte

Exclamations in Latin

Post by philplus »

One of my friends are translating some children's books from English into Chinese and asked me once why in the storybooks people often say "Great Neptune's beard!" "Great Jupiter's eyebrows!" "Great Neptune's Jupiter" "Great Juno's peacock!" as exclamations, and if these phrases are copied from ancient Romans. As I am still struggling with basic Latin, I never read such things in original Latin texts and neither can I, though consulting the grammars at my hands, find any answer to his question. I would really appreciate if you can give me some help.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Exclamations in Latin

Post by adrianus »

Figmenta sunt, ut opinor, ut sensus aevi classici vel veteri communicetur.
I think they're inventions to convey a sense of a classical or bygone age.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

philplus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by philplus »

Thank you adrianus. I know in medieval ages people swear or curse by (the Christian) God's body parts or attributes, and Shakespeare use that too, but I do not know if it's a remaining from Roman period.

ivanus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ivanus »

I've seen a couple of similar usages in Plautus' Aulularia:

di magni! (great gods)
hercle (by Hercules!)

This form of interjection might be more common in plays, which reproduce conversational speech than in more formal writing.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

From A grammar of the Latin language By Karl Gottlob Zumpt p. 279

Among the invocations of the gods, the following are particularly frequent: mehercule, mehercle, hercule, hercle, or mehercules, hercules, medius fidius, mecastor, ecastor, pol, edepol, per deum, per deum immortalem, per deos, per Jovem, pro (or proh) Juppiter, pro sancte (supreme) Juppiter, pro dii immortales, pro deum fidem, pro deum atque hominum fidem, pro deum or pro
deum immortalium (scil. fidem), and several others of this kind.
Note. Me before the names of gods must be explained by an ellipsis: the complete expression was : ita me (e. g. Hercules) juvet; or with the vocative: ita me Hercule juves. The interjection medius fidius arose, in all probability, from me dius (Διός) Julius, which is archaic for JUius, and is thus equivalent to mehercules, for Hercules is the son of that god. Mehercule is the form which Cicero (Oral. 47.) approves, and which, along with hercule, occurs most frequently in his writings. See my note on in Verr. iii. 62. The oath by Pollux (pol) is a very light one, and hence it is given especially to women in the comic writers. In edepol and edecastor the e is either the same as me, or it is a mere sound of interjection; de is deus.

anantah
Textkit Neophyte

Post by anantah »

I wonder if it's only an invention of the author following the medieval "God's beard" swearing. The genitive structure is different from Latin exclamations like Hercule or per deos. I'm not sure but I never met them in my readings of Latin texts.