Averroes with lots of quod

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Rufus Coppertop
Textkit Neophyte

Averroes with lots of quod

Post by Rufus Coppertop »

This heads a chapter of a Latin translation of "The Incoherence of the Incoherence" by Averroes.

De destructione eius, quod dicunt, quod Deus gloriosus absit, ignorat particularia.....etc

Would I be correct in thinking that the second quod, is the adverb meaning "in respect of which"?

So -

de destructione eius quod dicunt - regarding its refutation which they say

quod Deus gloriosus absit - in respect of which (thing they say) may glorious God be far from,

ignorat particularia blah blah etc - he is ignorant of particulars blah blah etc.

Also, would I be alone in thinking that it's not very good Latin?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Averroes with lots of quod

Post by adrianus »

Idem significat utrum "quod" pronomen, ut puto, Rufe Rutile. Magis autem primum pronomen, secundum conjunctio. Non mala est latinitas, nisi fallor, at non classica:
Both the same, I think, at least in English, "that". No, rather the first is a pronoun, the second is a "conjunction". I think the Latin is OK, though not classical:

"On the refutation of that which they say, that glorious God may be at a distance, that he ignores particulars..."
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.