Bookfinds

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Geoff
Textkit Fan

Bookfinds

Post by Geoff »

I had to gloat!-Here in wee little Stephenville, TX a bookstore that had been closed down for sometime had the lights on so I stopped by. The owners let me in to look around, and I found and purchased several GREAT books at reasonable prices. They had much more I'd love to have purchased several greek readers and full works in Greek, (some loebs). But I have their #'s and perhaps they'll let me back in sometime.

PHarr's Homeric Greek - GREAT SHAPE-

Loeb- Marcus Aurelius - (greek and translation) - GREAT SHAPE- too bad I won't be reading it anytime soon, Quite a bit over my level :(

Follett Publishing Co. The Classic Greek Dictionary- Greek - English & English-Greek-1948; (C) 1927 - Great Shape
- I'm completely unfamiliar with this, does anyone know who put it together, or anything else about it?

Greek through Reading- Nairn & Nairn Ginn & Co -1952- Excellent shape like new- I'm not very familiar with this either. Looks like it will be a fun reader.

I got an English Grammar (an older one) and a Handy Latin dictionary (woodhouse) also. Another neat find is the History of Classical philology by Peck.

Pretty exciting stuff!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Nice! I really want Pharr's but I have to decide between that and H&Q...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

congrats! I am jealous.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

Hi Geoff, how much were they? a tip i've discovered is to look in the "modern greek" section of 2nd hand bookstores... i've picked up the teubner herodotus for $15, and about 15 Oxford Classical Texts now, for $10-$12 each... :)

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

The Aurelius, Peck and Greek Dict were all 12.50

The PHarr was 25

The Nairn was 15

The English Grammar (Nesfield-1922) was 3.00

The latin (woodhouse) was 7.00

But he gave me a %20 discount and (no tax) 8)

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Ooh! ooh! ooh!

Sometimes I take lunch by wandering down to one of the local used bookstores. I just found a nice Cambridge edition of Herodas, with app crit and discreet commentary. A 1966 edition of a 1922 work.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

Hi, my name is Geoff

- ...and I'm a bibliofile :cry:

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

Geoff wrote:Hi, my name is Geoff

- ...and I'm a bibliofile :cry:
Hiiiii, Geoff! Welcome to Bibliophiles Anonymous! :lol:

What bums me out is, I went to a local used bookstore today that supposedly has almost a million volumes (and I believe it; the place is huge). And out of almost a million volumes, they had one lousy book on the Greek language! One! And not a single Loeb book! Bummer!
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Rock Bottom

Post by Geoff »

Lex,

You've hit rock bottom. You used to get excited about one small find, but it keeps taking more and more. At least we've admitted there's a problem.

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Re: Rock Bottom

Post by Lex »

Geoff wrote:Lex,

You've hit rock bottom. You used to get excited about one small find, but it keeps taking more and more. At least we've admitted there's a problem.
What are you saying, man? I don't have a problem! I can quit any time I want to! Umm... I just don't want to right now! Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket!

:lol: :wink:

Actually, I didn't even buy the one Greek book that was there. It didn't look all that good. I bought three old German books (a tutorial and two grammars) for $12 instead. And the three volume Hsitory of Freedom by Herbert Muller. That took care of my book jones (for the time being). :wink:
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

German - Moved on to the hard Stuff.

I'm afraid we're starting to sound a bit like the Monty Python "whiskey Skit" Much too silly!

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

Greek Prose Composition for Schools by North and Hillard, Rivingtons, 1925, $3.

Greek Composition for Schools by Robert J. Bonner, Scott, Foresman and Co., 1903, $3.

A Greek Grammar for Schools and Colleges by Hadley and Allen, American Book Company, 1912, $3.

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

Way to Go LEX!

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Geoff wrote:Way to Go LEX!
Indeed.

What is Greek Composition for Schools like?

Kopio
Global Moderator

Re: Bookfinds

Post by Kopio »

Geoff wrote:Loeb- Marcus Aurelius - (greek and translation) - GREAT SHAPE- too bad I won't be reading it anytime soon, Quite a bit over my level :(
He isn't really that tough. I've read about half of it so far....I pick it up when I'm in the mood for some deep reflection. Once you get used to his vocab, it's just a matter of figuring out what he's saying......what I mean is, like Plato....the vocab isn't tough, but he's saying very pithy things. Remeber it's philosophy.....it's meant to challenge your thinking!!

I'm reading Apollodorus' Library in the Loeb Library right now, and I'm finding it a pretty fun read. Remember....narrative is your friend. It's like reading the Gospels....they are much easier than reading the Pauline Letters, or Hebrews, etc. Stories are easier to grasp than concepts....at least for me :lol:

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

annis wrote:
Geoff wrote: Way to Go LEX!
Indeed.
I got lucky. Judging by the scribblings on the inside front covers, they were all owned by the same person, who attended a seminary here once upon a time. I would guess that he died recently, upon which his books were picked up by the bookstore I frequent at the estate sale. I found them lying on a table, before they were even shelved properly, so I beat everyone else to them.
annis wrote:What is Greek Composition for Schools like?
It's a slim blue book, errm... 5-1/4" by 7-5/8" by 3/4". About 250 pages long. It's split up into three parts, part the first (I love that old lingo) being 25 lessons in Greek constructions, with for a total of about 90 pages. In the words of the author "the standpoint of treatment is English, rather than Greek, idiom. In many cases they [the lessons] take the form of directions for turning English into Greek. For example, the different Greek equivalents for while, until, whenever, as if, etc., are collected and arranged so as to make the learning of them and the reference to them as easy as possible." Part the second is about 100 pages long, with 60 exercises based on the Anabasis, books one through three, and 41 supplementary exercises. Part the third is a classified list of words and phrases from the Anabasis books one through seven, with the classifications like 1. Arms, 2. Army, divisions of, 3. Baggage, 4. Battles, etc.

I would be willing to share, but my scanner scans too well, and makes huge PDF files, and I don't have access to a Xerox machine any more. I wouldn't mind sending it to somebody else to scan in for textkit, though, as long as I get it back. The same goes for Hadley and Allen.

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

The Oedipus Tyrannus of Sophocles, in Greek, notes by John Williams White, Ginn and Co., 1874 (I think), $2.

The Odyssey of Homer Books I - XII, in Greek, notes by W.B. Stanford, MacMillan and Co., 1964, $6.

The Eumenides of Aeschylus, in Greek, notes and facing page translation by A.W. Verrall, MacMillan and Co., 1908, $12.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Models and Materials for Greek Iambic Verse, J.Y. Sargent, M.A., 1890. $10.

Many short Greek snippets arranged by theme (the section on "Women" is wretched) in the first section (pp. 1-152), English for translation into verse in the second (pp. 155-301). In the preface the author says of the book, "at the same time it will be found suitable as a Delectus, or reading-book for any one who would enjoy ready gathered a bouquet of choice flowers of Greek poetry;"

The book is clear of marginalia, but the binding has seen better days. I'll produce a photocopy of this to send to Jeff shortly.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

That iambic verse models book looks interesting.

Have you already sent Jeff the photocopies?
annis wrote:The book is clear of marginalia, but the binding has seen better days. I'll produce a photocopy of this to send to Jeff shortly.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:That iambic verse models book looks interesting.

Have you already sent Jeff the photocopies?
Nope, I never added this one to the group I sent. It's not terribly useful for instruction, just a delectus.