nekron Afrodith?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

nekron Afrodith?

Post by mingshey »

from the "Visual Cue Cards to Accompany THE ANCIENT GREEKS SPEAK TO US" :
νεκρὸν ἀφροδίτη διονύσου δίχα καὶ δήμητρος.

νεκρόν: adj. dead, neut. sg.
αφροδίτη: fem. sg.
διονύσου: διόνυσος, masc. sg. gen.
δημητρος: δημήτηρ, fem. sg. gen.
δίχα: in two ways
καί: and

I can hardly find a match of grammatical construction in this proverb.

I think a possible interpretation is νεκρόν is not an adjective. But an acc. of νεκρός. and αφροδίτη in voc. Then it will be like :
"(oh) Aphrodite, death of both Dionysos and Demeter!" , which is still strange to think of.

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

what is that bizarre cuecard mingshey?!? :)

something like, aphrodite divided into 2 the body (and then something to do with dionysius and demeter?)

aphrodite obviously subject;
[size=150]δίχα[/size] the unaugmented homeric/ionic 3rd person singular imperfect of [size=150]διχᾰω[/size], poetic for [size=150]διχᾰζω[/size];
[size=150]νεκρὸν[/size] the masculine accusative of the (noun) [size=150]νεκρός[/size];
and then the genitive names, which would only make sense if you knew the relevant myth (i have no idea)... sorry i couldn't help...

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

chad wrote:what is that bizarre cuecard mingshey?!? :)
It's something I got from the random internet search for something like greek flash cards, and I forgat where I did I get it.
something like, aphrodite divided into 2 the body (and then something to do with dionysius and demeter?)

aphrodite obviously subject;
Indeed! voc. without ὦ in such a strange place is odd.
[size=150]δίχα[/size] the unaugmented homeric/ionic 3rd person singular imperfect of [size=150]διχᾰω[/size], poetic for [size=150]διχᾰζω[/size];
I didn't think of that possibility. Thank you so much.
[size=150]νεκρὸν[/size] the masculine accusative of the (noun) [size=150]νεκρός[/size];
and then the genitive names, which would only make sense if you knew the relevant myth (i have no idea)... sorry i couldn't help...
Don't be sorry. It helped very much. I think dionysos represents wine and demeter grain. (now, whose body is it? of Venus herseelf? :roll: )The cue card has a trophy(of wine, methinks) and a sack of grain on the other side of a wall. A statue of venus lying on this side of the wall.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

chad wrote:what is that bizarre cuecard mingshey?!? :)
Look. I found it! It was in "Greek Teachers' Corner" which I found out by googling with "ancient Greek Teaching materials". (I don't remember if it was in the Outside Links forum.) See "Cue Cards" on the website.

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

According to the Thesaurus Linguae Graecae this is from Michael Apostolius Paroemiogr., Collectio paroemiarum: Centuria 12 section 2 line 1.

I think it means something like "Without Dionysos and Demeter Aphrodite is (just) a dead body."

Ptolemaios

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Ptolemaios wrote:According to the Thesaurus Linguae Graecae this is from Michael Apostolius Paroemiogr., Collectio paroemiarum: Centuria 12 section 2 line 1.

I think it means something like "Without Dionysos and Demeter Aphrodite is (just) a dead body."

Ptolemaios
:o :D Wow, thanks!. That makes it much more clear! And, alas, why didn't I look closely at my middle liddell, saying that, with genitive, δίχα means "apart from, differently from, unlike, against the will of, besides, except, ..."?

And it should be interpreted, "Without food and drink, love is a dead body"?

But then, how come nekron is in neuter accusative? If it is a noun in nominative, why isn't it nekros? Is there a noun like σῶμα abbreviated?

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

Nekron is nom.sg. Maybe 'something dead' is a better translation for nekron than my earlier 'dead body' (although ... wouldn't that be 'nekron ti'?).

Ptolemaios

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

For νεκρός, ‐ά, ‐όν as an adjective, see LSJ s. v. νεκρός, II, with, for example, the phrase νεκρὰ σώματα, "dead bodies". I had never seen that before, so thank you !