Textkit Logo

Invenit qui non quaerit

Philosophers and rhetoricians, Welcome!

Invenit qui non quaerit

Postby Evito » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:00 pm

He who does not search finds.

Althought I made this up myself, this is derived strongly from Buddhist wisdom which I endorse very much so.

I would not like to explain this quote at this moment, but I ám wondering if there is anyone who recognizes himself in these poetic words and finds himself not searching?
phpbb
Evito
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Emma_85 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:52 pm

Hmm... well no actually I don't. There are some things that come to you when you are not thinking about them, before when you were trying to find the answer desperately you couldn't, but later it just comes to you.
But if you hadn't thought of these things in the first place or searched for the answer first, you would never have found it all at.
You need quiet to find anwers, but you also need questions I think, and questions are a sort of search in themselves.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Kalailan » Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:50 pm

search in its basis is worry. it is true that when one doesn't worry, and is unstressed, one can do things a lot better.
let it be search, think, or anything really.
and it's not always true that answers come to you only if you think of the question. sometimes not trying to ask questions lets you find them.
phpbb
Kalailan
Textkit Member

Postby klewlis » Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:00 pm

Kalailan wrote:search in its basis is worry.

I disagree. *Sometimes* search involves worry. But very often it can be anything from simple curiosity to an intent hunt, and can be based on any number of motives besides worry.
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Evito » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:05 pm

You search because you want to find something. That's the true motive for searching, being that you want to make something happen that will improve your personal situation and therefore yourself. If the current situation was satisfying, no one would search for anything.

So what happens if we stop searching? We are finally happy, because we're not trying to find anything.
phpbb
Evito
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Dillman » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:40 pm

Prehapes the happiness is not from not searching or finding.....but enjoying the search as an intellectual exersize
phpbb
Dillman
Textkit Neophyte

Postby mingshey » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:52 am

I'm not a buddhist. But have read about how buddhists do their quest. Tho' I don't grasp it quite clearly, it gave me an impression that it is like throwing a stone. Once you gave the stone enough momentum you must let go of the stone so that it fly go its way. Or it will remain in your hand.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby Episcopus » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:17 pm

A lazy person would not search for the answer to a certain query that pops up in his mind. Had I just decided to let Latin come to me I would be nowhere. What is this Noble Eightfold path influenced idea.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Dillman » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:31 pm

I am so lost now...... :oops:
phpbb
Dillman
Textkit Neophyte

Postby benissimus » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:15 am

To seek is to strive and who can accomplish anything great without striving for it?

Est quaerere coniti, quis enim est qui bene facere possit sine quaerendo? To seek is indeed a quest! quaeso (quaero), quaesere (quaerere), quaestus=quest
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Invenit qui non quaerit

Postby copain » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:50 pm

Evito wrote:He who does not search finds.

This seems a contradiction because if you do not move around either with your body or with your thoughts you will not be able to find anything. So if you expect to find something you have to search for it. But what, if you do not find what you expect to find so your search is in vain and disappointment is all what remains within you. So is it not far better to spare all this and do not to carry out any search at all ? Because your mind would not be so troubled and you may be more happily in live ?
    One meaning of this saying might go in this direction, but a very unsatisfactory one I would say.
    Another side of this saying is, even you will not search it may be possible that you will be found by someone other who has some interest - in a spiritual meaning - in you and you only had to be aware about this so you are prepared if such a thing happens.
    But nonetheless the deeper meaning of this saying will remain foreign to me. :roll:
copain
Textkit Neophyte

Postby mingshey » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:26 am

I think it applies to such aethereal "wisdom"s that don't serve any purpose. :(
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby Episcopus » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:31 pm

Quid puer ageret
ipse qui nihil faceret
alius utrum opprimeret
illum nihil qui
conficeret

Je suis fatigué, pourtant ce sont mes pensées. :oops:
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Invenit qui non quaerit

Postby Reemas » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:48 pm

Evito wrote:He who does not search finds.

Althought I made this up myself, this is derived strongly from Buddhist wisdom which I endorse very much so.

I would not like to explain this quote at this moment, but I ám wondering if there is anyone who recognizes himself in these poetic words and finds himself not searching?

Yeah kind off, I think.

We search for things in our own conceptions, yet the answers that exist are usually right in front of us. We do not see the answers because we are too busy searching for something based upon our own ideals.
Reemas
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Evito » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:12 am

What I'm saying is that what we're searching for is stopping itself.
phpbb
Evito
Textkit Neophyte

Postby threewood14 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:49 pm

Last post made by threewood14
phpbb
threewood14
Textkit Fan

Return to The Academy