Textkit Logo

Declension question

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

Declension question

Postby d_witczak » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:42 pm

I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to decline the noun
[face=SPIonic]glwssa, glwtta, h([/face]
Accents are not important for my work.
I appreciate your help.
-Daniel
d_witczak
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Declension question

Postby Skylax » Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:32 pm

it is either [face=SPIonic]glwssa[/face] (old Attic dialect, until about 400 BC and other dialects) or [face=SPIonic]glwtta[/face] (new Attic dialect from about 400 BC, i. e. for example Plato's dialect)

Singular
N.V. [face=SPIonic]glw=ssa[/face], Acc. [face=SPIonic]glw=ssan[/face], Gen. [face=SPIonic]glw/sshj[/face], Dative [face=SPIonic]glw/ssh|[/face]

Plural
N.V. [face=SPIonic]glw=ssai[/face], Acc. [face=SPIonic]glw/ssaj[/face], Gen. [face=SPIonic]glwssw=n[/face], Dative [face=SPIonic]glw/ssaij[/face]

[face=SPIonic]Xai=re[/face]
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Paul » Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:38 pm

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to Textkit!

Skylax already gave you the answer (he's good at that :D ). I would add only that this noun declines like [face=SPIonic]qa/lassa[/face], which is used as an example in many grammars.

Cordially,

Paul
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Postby d_witczak » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:02 pm

Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding. I guess I was confused by the lexical entry from which I found the word; it is not the form I am used to. The service around here certainly is outstanding, and for that I am grateful.
-Daniel
d_witczak
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek