Textkit Logo

Acts:6-9 grammar help

Are you learning New Testament Greek with Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback. Use this forum too to discuss all things Koine, LXX & New Testament Greek including grammar, syntax, textbook talk and more.

Acts:6-9 grammar help

Postby PeterD » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:04 am

[face=SPIonic]Xai/rete pai=dej,[/face]

Holy Zeus! It's around 4am Saturday morning here in Montreal -- bad case of insomnia induced by Greek Grammar stress! So please bare with me if I'm a little incorent. :?

I have some questions about sentence patterns -- i.e., subordinate participial clauses, etc. -- and just plain grammar. For instance,

Acts 1:6: [face=SPIonic]Oi( me\n ou)=n sunelqo/ntej h)rw/twn au)to\n le/gontej, Ku/rie, ei) e)n tw=| xro/nw| tou/tw| a)pokaqista/neij th\n basilei/an tw=| )Israh/l;[/face]
Here we have two subordinate participial clauses: [face=SPIonic]sunelqo/ntej[/face] and [face=SPIonic]le/gontej.[/face] Would the principal clause then be the entire verse [face=SPIonic]Oi( me\n...tw=| )Israh/l[/face] or just the direct question: [face=SPIonic]Ku/rie, ei) ... tw=| )Israh/l[/face]?

Acts 1:8: ... [face=SPIonic]kai\ e(/wj e)sxa/tou th=j gh=j[/face] why is the adjective [face=SPIonic]e)sxa/tou[/face] in the neuter and not fem.?

Acts 1:9: [face=SPIonic]kai\ tau=ta ei)pw\n blepo/ntwn au)tw=n e)ph/rqh[/face]. I have here a genitive absolute subordinate participial clause: [face=SPIonic]blepo/ntwn au)tw=n[/face]. Since the finite verb in the main clause is in the aorist and the participle is in the present, can I translate this as "And when He had said these things, as they were watching Him, He was raised up" ? Why is [face=SPIonic]au)tw=n[/face] genitive plural and not genitive singular since we are saying HIM and not Them?

Thanks a million,

PeterD
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Acts:6-9 grammar help

Postby Bert » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:51 pm

Your first question I'll leave for someone more knowledgeable
PeterD wrote:

Acts 1:8: ... [face=SPIonic]kai\ e(/wj e)sxa/tou th=j gh=j[/face] why is the adjective [face=SPIonic]e)sxa/tou[/face] in the neuter and not fem.?

My abridged lexicon (shorter Gingrich and Danker) has about [face=SPIonic]e)/sxatoj [/face]as a substantive " [face=SPIonic]to\ e)/sxatoj [/face]". It gives two examples Acts 1:8 and Acts 13:47.
PeterD wrote:
Acts 1:9: [face=SPIonic]kai\ tau=ta ei)pw\n blepo/ntwn au)tw=n e)ph/rqh[/face]. I have here a genitive absolute subordinate participial clause: [face=SPIonic]blepo/ntwn au)tw=n[/face]. Since the finite verb in the main clause is in the aorist and the participle is in the present, can I translate this as "And when He had said these things, as they were watching Him, He was raised up" ? Why is [face=SPIonic]au)tw=n[/face] genitive plural and not genitive singular since we are saying HIM and not Them?

I think, " as they watched" is fine, but not " as they watched Him". [face=SPIonic]au)tw=n[/face] refers to 'they', the ones doing the watching.
I hope I was helpful.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby PeterD » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:58 pm

Thank you. :)
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby klewlis » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:47 pm

PeterD wrote:Acts 1:6: [face=SPIonic]Oi( me\n ou)=n sunelqo/ntej h)rw/twn au)to\n le/gontej, Ku/rie, ei) e)n tw=| xro/nw| tou/tw| a)pokaqista/neij th\n basilei/an tw=| )Israh/l;[/face]
Here we have two subordinate participial clauses: [face=SPIonic]sunelqo/ntej[/face] and [face=SPIonic]le/gontej.[/face] Would the principal clause then be the entire verse [face=SPIonic]Oi( me\n...tw=| )Israh/l[/face] or just the direct question: [face=SPIonic]Ku/rie, ei) ... tw=| )Israh/l[/face]?

If I were diagramming this, I would consider the main clause to be:
[face=SPIonic]Oi( sunelqo/htej h)rw/twn au)to\n[/face]

Everything else modifies...

It's functioning as a substantival, not an adjective, and it's being modified by [face=SPIonic] th=j gh=j[/face] :)

I believe Bert is right here. It may make more sense to see it quite literally: "during the watching of them".
Last edited by klewlis on Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby PeterD » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:29 pm

Makes sense. Thank you Canucks. :D
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Skylax » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:46 pm

Sorry I had not seen bert's and klewlis' fine replies before posting.

PeterD wrote:I have some questions about sentence patterns -- i.e., subordinate participial clauses, etc. -- and just plain grammar. For instance,

Acts 1:6: [face=SPIonic]Oi( me\n ou)=n sunelqo/ntej h)rw/twn au)to\n le/gontej, Ku/rie, ei) e)n tw=| xro/nw| tou/tw| a)pokaqista/neij th\n basilei/an tw=| )Israh/l;[/face]

I am afraid my parsing habits are not yours.
For me, a "clause" (in French "proposition") is made up of a subject and a verb (whatever the case of the subject), having a role AS A GROUP in the sentence. So I see [face=SPIonic]sunelqo/ntej[/face] as a participle in apposition to [face=SPIonic]oi([/face], the subject of the main verb [face=SPIonic]h)rw/twn[/face] and [face=SPIonic]le/gontej[/face] as a predicate of the same [face=SPIonic]oi([/face]. So, for me, the entire group [face=SPIonic]Oi( me\n ou)=n sunelqo/ntej h)rw/twn au)to\n le/gontej[/face] forms a clause introducing the direct discourse (which is not strictly speaking "subordinate"....)… if it is a direct discourse at all : yes, the vocative would denote a direct discourse but [face=SPIonic]ei)[/face] introduces an indirect question, so what ? In any case, I see two « clauses » in this sentence.

to\ e)/sxaton : the end (« the extreme thing »)

Acts 1:9: [face=SPIonic]kai\ tau=ta ei)pw\n blepo/ntwn au)tw=n e)ph/rqh[/face]. I have here a genitive absolute subordinate participial clause: [face=SPIonic]blepo/ntwn au)tw=n[/face]. Since the finite verb in the main clause is in the aorist and the participle is in the present, can I translate this as "And when He had said these things, as they were watching Him, He was raised up" ?

Yes, you can. It is right.

Why is [face=SPIonic]au)tw=n[/face] genitive plural and not genitive singular since we are saying HIM and not Them?

In your translation, [face=SPIonic]au)tw=n[/face] is translated by « they », it is the subject in the genitive of [face=SPIonic]blepo/ntwn[/face]. Him is added. The Greek expresses simply « as they were watching ».

[face=SPIonic]Xai=re kai\ su/, te/knon[/face]
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby PeterD » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:43 pm

Nothing to be sorry about . Thank you as well for your input.

Have a great weekend all. :D
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek