Septuagint The Lord is My Shepherd

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Septuagint The Lord is My Shepherd

Post by bingley »

[size=200]κύριος ποιμαίνει με, καὶ οὐδέν με ὑστερήσει [/size]

If I'm reading sedction IV of the LSJ entry correctly (http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... D%23109734), why isn't this [size=200]οὐδέν ὑστερήσω[/size] ?

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

I don't know. Maybe analogy with [size=150]φθάνω[/size] ? Hebraism ???

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Oh well, thanks anyway.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I can't check the right resources just now, but I think it may be a somewhat irregular verb. Check out Mark 10:21, where the same form is used for present active indicative second person singular, where you would expect an εις ending.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

[size=150] [21] ὁ δὲ )ιησοῦς ἐμβλέψας αὐτῷ ἠγάπησεν αὐτὸν καὶ εἶπεν αὐτῷ (/εν σε ὑστερεῖ· [/size]

Then the LSJ is misleading. By these two references it seems that the subject is the thing lacked and the object is the person lacking it.

Koala
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Koala »

I suspect Bingley is right

compare the French use of "manquer"

[size=150]ὑστερέω[/size] : of persons, 'lack'; of things, ὑ.τινά 'be deficient/lacking' to one

Ref: A Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New Testament, Zerwick and Grosvenor, 1974