'Man is the Measure' in Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Raya
Textkit Fan

'Man is the Measure' in Greek

Post by Raya »

Any idea where I can find the original Greek for Protagoras' statement:

Of all things the measure is Man: of things that are, how they are, and of things that are not, how they are not.

If the full quotation cannot be found: does anyone know at least which word for 'man' was used?
Was it ἄνθρωπος (implying Man as opposed to god(s)/animals)?
...or ἀνήρ (implying Man as opposed to Woman)?
...or some other?

auctor
Textkit Member

Post by auctor »

Raya
[size=150] πάντων χρημάτων ἄνθρωπον μέτρον εἶναι

in Plato Theaetus 160d

I picked that from ODQ

hope this helps

Paul McK

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Thanks a bunch, Paul!
Yes, that much is sufficient for my purposes... although, being me, I'll stay on the lookout in case I can find the full quotation. ;)

My only other lead is from the Protagoras article in the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy:
Of Protagoras' works, only a few brief quotations embedded in the works of later authors have survived. [...] Of Protagoras' ipsissima verba (actual words, as opposed to paraphrases), the most famous is the homo-mensura (man-measure) statement (DK80b1): "Of all things the measure is man, of the things that are, that [or "how"] they are, and of things that are not, that [or "how"] they are not."
Although they explain what the reference DK80b1 means, I've had no luck tracking it down.

And, pardon my ignorance, but what is the ODQ?

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

DK 80b1 is a passage from Sextus Empiricus (Adversus Mathematicos VII 60) and the already mentioned passage from Plato (Theaet. 151e sqq.). In Sextus Emp. the quotation is in direct discourse:

πάντων τῶν χρημάτων μέτρον ἐστὶν ἄνθρωπος, τῶν μὲν ὄντων ὡς ἔστιν, τῶν δὲ οὐκ ὄντων ὡς οὐκ ἔστιν

Apart from the differences resulting from the difference in discourse, the only remarkable differences are the οὐκ where Plato uses μή and the wordorder.

Ptolemaios

auctor
Textkit Member

Post by auctor »

ODQ is the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations, a quite reliable source for quotations, quips and lyrics from the ancients and moderns and all who came between.

Glad you now have two lines of attack for your project.
P

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Ptolemaios:
Many thanks!
What is the effect, though, if [size=117]μή[/size] is used rather than [size=117]οὐκ[/size]? I mean I know that [size=117]μή[/size] indicates probability (whereas [size=117]οὐκ[/size] gives certainty) - but then for the last phrase I get something like:
of things which probably are not, how they probably are not.
...which just doesn't seem right, somehow.

Paul:
I had a sneaking suspicion it was the Oxford-something-or-other. ;)
Yes, another line of attack indeed! Here's hoping it will add just that edge to the project...

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

With participles the difference between οὐ and μή is something else:

[size=150]οὐ[/size] is used when the participle refers to a closed set ('those particular things that are')
[size=150]μή [/size]is used when it refers to an open set ('all the things that are')

The difference in negation between Plato and Sextus Emp. is probably (but I haven't checked it) a consequence of different contexts.

Ptolemaios

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Ack - generic vs specific cases! I'd forgotten all about that... :oops:
Thanks for setting me straight.