Help With Phrase Please

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
johnm
Textkit Neophyte

Help With Phrase Please

Post by johnm »

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me if there is a single Latin word that means to travel, idealy to travel in style or luxury but to travel would be a start.

Many Thanks.

Tom L.
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Tom L. »

John,

I defer to those here like Benissimus or Episcopus who know a lot more than I do ~ but there are a couple expressions that come to mind:

Iter facere or ambulare (especially the second if you are looking for a single word) can be decent ways to translate "to travel".

If you add the adverbs "bene" or better yet "commode", you would get close to the sense you are trying to convey of traveling in comfort (iter commode facere).

Tom

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

The first words that came to mind for "to travel" were peregrinor, peragro, and proficiscor, but these don't really carry a luxurious sense with them as far as I know. I can't think of an English word that fits this description either, so it would be hard to track down if it does exist.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

johnm
Textkit Neophyte

Post by johnm »

Thanks for your suggestions, I'm starting an Executive/Chauffeur travel service and am looking for a name that sort of sums up traveling in a bit of class. From what you've said it doesn't sound as though there will be a word that fits the bill unfortunately, don't think we could use commode!!

Many thanks anyway, Johnm

Ulpianus
Textkit Member

Post by Ulpianus »

Hmm. Not sure I like to convert latin for commerce: it's tempting to suggest something like "irrumatores in omnibus" (don't even think about going there, it's very rude indeed and not even good Latin: but would the clients guess?).

What about elegans, perhaps with iter: a good positive word in Latin. elegantia itineris would be "the elegance of travel" and even someone with no Latin could guess what it means.