Greek questions

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Greek questions

Post by Bert »

Is there any difference in word order at all in a Greek question compared to a statement?

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

According to my textbook (Hansen & Quinn's Greek: An Intensive Coure, which is limited to Attic dialect) - no.
Indeed, on numerous occasions I didn't recognise that a sentence was a question until I came to the closing punctuation!

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Sometimes you get word markers... but otherwise it's context-dependent.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Rodney
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Greek questions

Post by Rodney »

Bert wrote:Is there any difference in word order at all in a Greek question compared to a statement?
Greek questions often include the interog. "αρα". Here's the best example I can come up with on the fly:

αρα εχεις τον ’ιππον ;

Do you have a horse?

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

what's [size=150]εχειστον[/size]? is it related to [size=150]ἔχω[/size]?

I couldn't find the word in any Perseus searches. thanks, chad. :)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

chad wrote:what's [size=150]εχειστον[/size]? is it related to [size=150]ἔχω[/size]?

I couldn't find the word in any Perseus searches. thanks, chad. :)
I think he meant [size=150]αρα εχεις τον ἱππον[/size]
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

thanks benissimus, it comes up w/out a space on my screen... cheers, chad. :)

auctor
Textkit Member

Post by auctor »

Bringing up the subject spacing again (I've mentioned this in other threads) I have discovered that Greek with breathings and accents appears perfectly when the text is LARGE, but horribly misspaced when it is normal.
Don't ask me why because I wouldn't even know where to start thinking about looking for a place to find a reason but... I wonder if Will and Jeff could or would consider making the default Greek text size 18. It IS easier to read and if all the bits come out in a decent fashion then many misreads would be avoided.

Just a thought,
Paul McK

Rodney
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Rodney »

I'll endeavor to use a larger typeface in the future. I was just shaken up from accidentally tuning into the FOX network. I'm better now.