Studying Latin and Greek concurrently

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
MOVERLY
Textkit Neophyte

Studying Latin and Greek concurrently

Post by MOVERLY »

I have noticed quite a few people studying Latin and Greek at the same time. Having spent a couple of years working on Latin, I would like to hear from people who have tried Greek at the same time. Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

Well, it's just whole lot more interesting when you do comparative studies. For vocabulary or inflection studies, you get to do something with words other than repeating them. For example: sigmatic endings and reduplication in Greek helps me sort out Latin verbs. If I were to study only Latin, I would ask myself why do I see this pattern of augeo-auxi, jubeo-jussi; mordeo-momordi, tondeo-totondi? Although it is extra work studying historical sound changes, comparative grammar, and etymology, it's more stimulating and helps with memory. When you start organizing information and linking information, you start to feel like you're not really studying two different languages, but it starts to feel like you're studying two dialects. Atlhough, that is kind of exaggerating a bit.

Alundis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alundis »

If I were going to study Greek as well, I would start with some Pimsleur tapes of modern Greek. But that's just me ;p