Textkit Logo

? on accent

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

? on accent

Postby PeterD » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:09 pm

Quick question. In the Woodhouse dictionary, the accent on the word number is on the antepenult ([face=SPIonic]a)/riqmoj[/face]); however, in the Little LS, the accent is on the ultima. Which one is correct? Are they both correct?

Thanks
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Raya » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:26 pm

The LSJ (on Perseus) and the Pocket Oxford Classical Greek Dictionary both have it accented on the ultima.

As you've probably noticed, [face=SPIonic]a)riqmoj[/face] technically could have an accent on the antepenult since it has a short ultima. If we knew the word to have recessive accent, we indeed would have expected an accent on the antepenult - but as you know, it's a noun, and nouns don't necessarily have recessive accents...

However - I do recall my tutor telling me of a Greek dialect (Aeolic, I think), in which all words have recessive accent.
phpbb
Raya
Textkit Fan

Postby PeterD » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:30 pm

Thank you for the reply -- [face=SPIonic] a)lhqw=j, sofh\ ei)=[/face]
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby PeterD » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:40 pm

Thank you for the reply -- [face=SPIonic] a)lhqw=j, sofh\ ei)=[/face]
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby annis » Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:44 am

In general I'd take LSJ over Woodhouse on such questions. My pocket Oxford agrees with LSJ, too.

Raya wrote:However - I do recall my tutor telling me of a Greek dialect (Aeolic, I think), in which all words have recessive accent.

Except a few prepositions, but yes, Lesbian Aeolic had mostly recessive accent. Seeing a line like this was a bit of a surprise at first:

[face=spionic]e)/gw de\ mo/na kateu/dw[/face]
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek