Help needed

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
K+C
Textkit Neophyte

Help needed

Post by K+C »

I have been trying to translate this phrase now for some weeks from english into Latin but i am unsure if it is correct.

Could somebody please correct it for me?

I will always be your evil queen.

so far i have come up with

ego voluntas semper adesse * * regina.

I'm really stuck and need this in for Monday's course completion deadline - please help.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

mala regina tua semper ero is one way to say it.

ego voluntas semper adesse * * regina, this doesn't mean anything really... nothing is declined or conjugated, and voluntas is the noun for "free will", not a future verb. If you need specific help then fire away, but if not then I hope my translation works well for you.

Ave atque vale
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

K+C
Textkit Neophyte

Post by K+C »

No if that is the best way to say it then that is perfect.

Thankyou so so much.

xx

K+C
Textkit Neophyte

Post by K+C »

i'm sorry could you actually break it down for me so i know what i'm doing in future...?

I'm only beginning and i get stuck very easily. :oops:

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Ok, here is the sentence broken down:

I will always be your evil queen.
I will be = verb ero (first person future singular of esse "to be"), you can put ego "I" but it is understood by the conjugation of the verb.
always = adverb semper.
your (singular) = adjective tuus/tua/tuum, must agree in gender with its noun, regina.
evil = adjective malus/mala/malum, must agree in gender with its noun, regina.
queen = feminine, 1st conjugation, nominative noun regina.

It's perfectly normal to get stuck, Latin is a huge investment and will demand a great deal of your time if you want to become proficient at it. There is also no particular order that most of those words had to go in, I just chose the one that seemed simplest.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Help needed

Post by Episcopus »

K+C wrote:
ego voluntas semper adesse * * regina.
Haha voluntas...free will...

Has your teacher gone through conjugations with you? I'm asking because my German teacher for example gives out ridiculous sheets with all ranges of tenses and expects us to do them in spite of the fact that she has never taught us them before...funny

Dillman
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dillman »

Hahah well at least you have an ok grasp at it.....it takes me like a half an hour to translate "Have a good day" so you can't be as bad as me, whenever you feel crappy look up in the sky and remeber that somwhere out there ther is a man who sucks worse then you:P :wink: