Textkit Logo

Pharr paragraph 48 line 9

Are you reading Homeric Greek or studying Homeric Greek with Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners? Here's where you can meet other Homeric Greek learners. Use this board for all things Homeric Greek.

Pharr paragraph 48 line 9

Postby Bert » Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:11 pm

I am not sure of the correct translation of [face=SPIonic]o)/x' a)/ristoi e)n )Ili/w| ta\ ei)=pon Pria/mw|, a)lla\ tou\j h)ti/masen.[/face]<br />-By far the bravest in Ilium told these things(? ta\)to Priam, but he dishonored them-.<br /><br />If there was a narative in which this was told, this sentence may make sence but on its own I am not sure enough of myself to consider this correct. Can someone comment please? Thank you.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re:Pharr paragraph 48 line 9

Postby annis » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:05 am

Your translation is correct.<br /><br />This is yet another example of why I hate single-sentence exercises so much. These sorts of things are confusing. "What these things? What are we talking about?!"
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby Emma_85 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:25 pm

i hate them, too. my text book was full of them >:(. there were nearly no texts longer than 2 or 3 sentences, because the book publishers thought it would be better if they only gave the pupils original sentences, nothing they had written themselves. <br /><br />it was very boring and confusing, but i suppose it also helped a lot. because it meant that no one was able to just guess what the translation might be, but had to look at every single form.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Bert » Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:16 am

Thanks for the replies.<br />I probably would not mind them if there was an answer key to the execises. Without them it is harder to have any sort of confidence in my answer.<br />I am almost at the part in the book where the readings are from the Iliad. It will probably bring challanges of its own, but I am looking forward to it.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Return to Homeric Greek and Pharr's Homeric Greek - A Book For Beginners