? on accent

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

? on accent

Post by PeterD »

Quick question. In the Woodhouse dictionary, the accent on the word number is on the antepenult ([size=150]ἄριθμος[/size]); however, in the Little LS, the accent is on the ultima. Which one is correct? Are they both correct?

Thanks

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

The LSJ (on Perseus) and the Pocket Oxford Classical Greek Dictionary both have it accented on the ultima.

As you've probably noticed, ἀριθμος technically could have an accent on the antepenult since it has a short ultima. If we knew the word to have recessive accent, we indeed would have expected an accent on the antepenult - but as you know, it's a noun, and nouns don't necessarily have recessive accents...

However - I do recall my tutor telling me of a Greek dialect (Aeolic, I think), in which all words have recessive accent.

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Thank you for the reply -- [size=150] ἀληθῶς, σοφὴ εἶ[/size]

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Thank you for the reply -- [size=150] ἀληθῶς, σοφὴ εἶ[/size]

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

In general I'd take LSJ over Woodhouse on such questions. My pocket Oxford agrees with LSJ, too.
Raya wrote:However - I do recall my tutor telling me of a Greek dialect (Aeolic, I think), in which all words have recessive accent.
Except a few prepositions, but yes, Lesbian Aeolic had mostly recessive accent. Seeing a line like this was a bit of a surprise at first:

[u]ἔγω[/u] δὲ μόνα κατεύδω
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;