Quia or Quod

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
mariek
Global Moderator

Quia or Quod

Post by mariek »

What's the difference between QUIA and QUOD? They both mean "beacuse". Can you use them interchangeably?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re:Quia or Quod

Post by benissimus »

They are more or less the same. I'm sure there is some small distinction, but I am not yet literate enough to notice it. "Quod", however, can also mean "what", so Quia would be less ambiguous in certain situations.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Magistra
Textkit Member

Post by Magistra »

Just as we have synonyms in English, they exist in Latin. Does it really matter whether we say because or since?<br /><br />Because/ it's raining, we'll stay indoors. <br /><br />Both indicate that the rain is the cause of not leaving the house.<br /><br />Magistra

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

I guess it's personal preference which one someone decides to use. I should stick with "quia" to avoid any misunderstandings.<br /><br />I'm still confused by those interrogative pronouns. I still haven't distinguished the difference between "cui" and "cuius" and I haven't yet figured out which noun forms to use in such questions. I definitely need more practice.<br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

cuius means "whose"<br />cui means "to whom"
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

I've seen two sentences using "cuius" in the book:<br />1. Cuius filia est Diana?<br />2. Cuius filiae laborant?<br /><br />I understand the first one. But I don't understand why it is "filiae" in the 2nd one.<br /><br /><br />So let's say I want to say "whose victory did the girl announce?"<br />Would that be : "Cuius victoriam puella nuntiat?"<br /><br />And let's say I want to say "To whom did the girl give a wreath?"<br />Would that be : "Cui coronam puella dat?"<br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

I've seen two sentences using "cuius" in the book:<br />1. Cuius filia est Diana?<br />2. Cuius filiae laborant?<br /><br />I understand the first one. But I don't understand why it is "filiae" in the 2nd one.<br />
<br /><br />The 2nd one means "Whose daughters are working?". There are two or more daughters of one person.<br /><br />Quorum filiae laborant = "Whose daughters are working?" where they are the daughters of more than one person.<br /><br />Quarum filiae laborant = "Whose daughters are working?" where they are the daughters of more than one woman.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=bingley link=board=3;threadid=245;start=0#1346 date=1058149913][/quote]Quorum filiae laborant = "Whose daughters are working?" where they are the daughters of more than one person.<br /><br />Quarum filiae laborant = "Whose daughters are working?" where they are the daughters of more than one woman.<br /><br />Quorum and Quarum ... I haven't learned these yet, but I see there are subtle differences in the two! ... more stuff to look forward to. :) <br />