Is anybody here good at reading the New Testament in greek?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
medea
Textkit Neophyte

Is anybody here good at reading the New Testament in greek?

Post by medea »

I'm a beginner of anciet greek language.As our teacher asked us to begin the classical greek text,the New Testament, after this term,I hope u can give me some advices before my "endless journey"~~~~:wink:

Thax very much~~

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

There are a few of us who have focused on NT greek, so we should be able to answer your questions. You may wish to post them in the koine forum since that is more specifically NT.

I am working my way through the NT right now, and have read nearly half of it.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

medea
Textkit Neophyte

Post by medea »

klewlis wrote:There are a few of us who have focused on NT greek, so we should be able to answer your questions. You may wish to post them in the koine forum since that is more specifically NT.

I am working my way through the NT right now, and have read nearly half of it.
Beg leave me ask a simple question which has nothing to do with the NT.Now I'm hunger to kown how to pronounce this letter "ρ"?Maybe it is only difficult to me.Because there isn't such voice in my mother tongue,Chinese. Is there any efficacious way to practise??? :oops:

And would u pls tell me where can find the textual "metaphysics",writted by Aristole,on the www?

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Ni haoma?

Ni keneng kan Metaphysics Perseus shang. And the rho(ρ) is said to be a trilling sound(I assume it is as in Russian, or some of other laguages perhaps). That is an impossibility to me, either. Then still, there is rho with a rough breathing().

Zaijian!
Last edited by mingshey on Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

hi medea, the metaphysics is here in greek:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... 99.01.0051

it's here in english:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... 99.01.0052

i don't know any links to a chinese translation, sorry.

the "rho" character is like the italian r, the tip of your tongue makes a rapid fanning motion behind your upper teeth. even if you can't do it now, you can learn to do it with practice: one of my friends (an australian) taught herself to do it while learning indonesian. it took her a few weeks. good luck :) :)

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

When I graduate (sometime around 06) I will have a Major in NT Greek. I have finished all four years of the Greek program at my school, and I am far more familiar with Biblical Greek than Classical.

If you have any questions feel free to post or private message me.....if I don't have the answer....one of my many NT Grammars probably does (I'm a hopeless bibliophile....much to my wife's chagrin)!

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

chad wrote:the "rho" character is like the italian r, the tip of your tongue makes a rapid fanning motion behind your upper teeth. even if you can't do it now, you can learn to do it with practice: one of my friends (an australian) taught herself to do it while learning indonesian. it took her a few weeks. good luck :) :)
I pronounce it like an english R, simply because I have never in my life been able to roll my r's properly. Any attempts are quite sad and unsuccessful. Someday... :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

medea
Textkit Neophyte

Post by medea »

Thank u all for so much information,especially the links.

Chad,as I kown the "ρ" should pronounce by the uvula.And I'd like to share a secret here which I get recently from my teacher .Do it like this everyday untill u can pronounce:Keep some water in mouth and blow it slightly with face upward.Maybe it will bear fruit.Who konws~~~
Thank Mingshy and u again for the useful links.And I've got the Chinese translation already(exactly there're at least three editions in Chinese).

Hope I can discuss the NT or the literature of Aristotle with Klewlis and Koipo before long.I'm now underway to study the koine by rote......(sign)

P·S
Ni hao koipo,ur Chinese is not bad. Wo hen gaoxing renshi ni(Nice to meet u~)................