Aeschylus Pindar shared semantic domains

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
C. S. Bartholomew
Textkit Zealot

Aeschylus Pindar shared semantic domains

Post by C. S. Bartholomew »

320—321
{Κλ.} Τροίαν Ἀχαιοὶ τῇδ' ἔχουσ' ἐν ἡμέρᾳ.
οἶμαι βοὴν ἄμεικτον ἐν πόλει πρέπειν.

πρέπω

impressions on the senses ... on the eye ... on the ear ... βοὰ π. the cry sounds loud and clear, Pi.N.3.67, cf. A.Ag. 321.

This seems to be happening fairly often. Pindar uses a term in the same way as Aeschylus.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

cb
Textkit Zealot

Re: Aeschylus Pindar shared semantic domains

Post by cb »

hi, yes there's a good book on parallels of aeschylus with other authors including pindar, see pg 33 of the book I linked to earlier on aeschylus' style:

http://web.archive.org/web/200609231932 ... aaes00.pdf

cheers, chad

C. S. Bartholomew
Textkit Zealot

Re: Aeschylus Pindar shared semantic domains

Post by C. S. Bartholomew »

cb wrote:hi, yes there's a good book on parallels of aeschylus with other authors including pindar, see pg 33 of the book I linked to earlier on aeschylus' style:

http://web.archive.org/web/200609231932 ... aaes00.pdf

cheers, chad

Yes, worth reading. Not much on lexical semantics however. Aeschylus gets faulted for using known words in unknown ways but on several occasions I have seen Pindar listed in LSJ under the same gloss with Aeschylus and no one else. While we always need to use LSJ with caution, there seems to be some basis for claiming that Aeschylus was not always alone when he employed a known word in an unusual manner. As far as Aristophanes criticism goes to find fault with Aeschylus' word choice, one should keep in mind that lexical semantics never stands still. English usage of fifty years ago is now archaic.
C. Stirling Bartholomew