Kai in lists

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Geoff
Textkit Fan

Kai in lists

Post by Geoff »

In greek syntax does the "kai" have to be present between each noun in a list or can it be as in english?

Fruit, bread, and meat

or

fruit (kai) bread (kai) meat

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

The kai is usually there but I'm sure I've seen it omitted (though I can't think of specific references just now!).
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Most of what I've seen is either with KAI's or without, usually not a combo of the two (as your example had)

Bullinger (whose Figures of Speech is a boon) pg. 137 calls these asundeton ("no-ands") and polysyndeton ("many-ands")

Of course, I speak primarily from a Biblical Greek perspective....there's a whole lot of Koine out there I haven't read.

Hope this helps.

kalowski
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kalowski »

Thank you, whither, for your valuable contribution.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

I deleted it and I think we are going to kick him from the site.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Kopio wrote: Of course, I speak primarily from a Biblical Greek perspective....there's a whole lot of Koine out there I haven't read.

Hope this helps.
This the normal usage in Ancient Greek.